Chapter 24

There was no talking my parents out of it. They were flying up to New York to make sure I was in one piece and not being held against my will. Sylvie was no less easy to convince that I was safe and sound, and after a long discussion about her suspicions that my abductors had something to do with Heath, she grudgingly returned to Baltimore with the promise of a rain check on our weekend. Both conversations left me with the worst feeling of guilt, and I had to remind myself that I wouldn't believe the truth if the tables were turned.

Sunshine crept in through the sliding glass door, and Vincent was still not home. I was told not to worry, but I couldn't help imagining him being taken down by a hunter's rifle as I curled up under a blanket on the couch. I was tired as hell, so it didn't surprise me when my brain registered the sound of voices that hadn't been there before. Apparently, I had dozed off and Vincent arrived during the interval. One of the voices was definitely his.

"Colin was supposed to wait for me. He disobeyed a direct order." Vincent's tone had a dangerous edge to it, and despite my relief at hearing it, I had no intention of interrupting his rant. "Not only did he put other gollums in jeopardy, he could have been killed. The domus can't afford to lose another member."

"He was following a lead, Vincent. The trail could have gone cold if he hadn't acted."

The second voice sounded like Jonathan, but I wasn't sure. My only clue was his reverent tone.

"I agree with his instincts but not his motives. He has his own agenda with this kill. He wants to impress Reese."

"Can you blame him? She's an eligible female with no ties to her domus."

"We all know there has to be a connection between both parties, and Reese is not interested in taking Colin as a mate."

What the hell? How dare these two discuss my interests like they know me. Apparently, gollums were just as chauvinistic as their non-winged counterparts. They needed to know I was awake before I heard more of this trash talk. I tossed off the blanket and sat up, flinching at the lingering soreness in my arms and shoulders. How many miles did I cover last night?

When I glanced around the room, I realized I was alone, which meant Vincent and Jonathan were in another part of the apartment and my freakishly acute hearing had picked up their exchange. I pushed off the couch just as they emerged from the hallway, and I greeted Vincent with an innocent smile. He returned it with a guilty gaze. Oh, those eyes. They were the mirrors to his repressed soul.

"Reese, how are you feeling?" Vincent was standing in front of me before I could answer or even move from my spot, and he smothered me inside his arms. He smelled of sweat, and pine, and raw Vincentness. "I promise, what you went through last night will never happen again. Not as long as I can help it. But I'm afraid you've become a prime target now that they know you're with us."

"Why am I suddenly so interesting to these demons. I suppose it has something to do with Heath." I looked up at him expectantly. Would he divulge?

"We're not exactly sure what their motives are. I'll know more when Colin is able to recap the battle for me. There's often banter during a conflict, which can give us clues. I expect your abductors were planning to make a stop in Baltimore, but we don't know if that was their final destination." He released his suffocating grip, tipping my head back and holding me in his intense gaze. "Keeping you safe is all I'm concerned with, which means you will need to stay here at the domus. No more running off."

"Vincent, I have a life, and an apartment, and a neighbor who needs me to look after him."

"We will tackle those things as soon as the domus meets to discuss the situation. First, I need a shower, or you won't want to be anywhere near me."