Chapter 19

The line in front of The Ice House extended around the block. But half the fun of attending these venues was meeting interesting people, and it wasn't long before Sylvie and I struck up a conversation with the group ahead of us. They were all from Baltimore, so we had plenty to talk about as the queue slowly led us around the corner. I supposed I shouldn't have been shocked when a hand came to rest on my shoulder, and I turned to find Charles, my ex plane mate, smiling at me.

"Reese, you made it."

"Hi, Charles. I told you my best friend is a freak for the Pigeons." I nudged Sylvie to get her attention, but she was already staring at Charles with stars in her eyes. "Sylvie, this is Charles. We met on the flight over."

"Nice to meet you, Charles." Sylvie extended her hand and Charles shook it as he introduced the guy with him. "This is my friend, Eric."

"How's it going?" Eric offered us a gleaming white smile, which paired nicely with his cute face. But Charles had him beat in the eyes department.

"Are you guys just getting here?" I asked, glancing at the long line and the fact that they weren't in it.

"No. We've got band privileges. Eric was best friends with the bass player growing up. He's like you, Sylvie. A freak for the Pigeons."

"Brills." Sylvie acknowledged Eric with a playful wink and the spark had been lit.

"If you two don't want to spend the next twenty minutes waiting in line, we can get you in the back door." Eric jerked his thumb around the corner and Sylvie's eyes bugged out.

"Seriously? You are my new favorite person, Eric."

Eric held his arm out to Sylvie and she tucked in next to him, looking like the happiest on-fleek bitch on the planet. I shrugged at Charles as we followed them, making a point to keep my arm pressed firmly against my hip. Charles didn't attempt to take my hand, no doubt remembering the size of Vincent's chest when he thrust it in Charles's face, and I wasn't going to encourage him. While Vincent and I were not officially a couple, I reminded myself that I'd sworn off one-nighters.

The Ice House was a standing-only music venue converted from a building used to store actual blocks of ice before refrigerators were invented. Solid slabs of granite made up the walls and floor, worn from years of abuse, and the ceiling arched overhead with thick wooded beams traversing the width of the cavernous room. I'd been inside the place multiple times and knew it provided great photo ops. It was also perfect for emphasizing the sound of wailing guitars and screaming vocals.

It was after nine when the band started their sound checks, so Charles and Eric took the opportunity to visit the bar. I ordered a bottled water and Sylvie opted for a beer, shoving a five into Eric's hand. She and I learned long ago never to oblige ourselves to a guy's generosity, just in case things turned sour. 

I hadn't meant for our girl's night to turn into a foursome, but Charles and Eric seemed impossibly normal compared to Vincent and his family of winged vigilantes. Besides, Sylvie was clearly enjoying the attention Eric had been giving her.

"So, what's the story with you and Charles?" she asked.

"There's no story. He just sat next to me on the plane. He's the one who told me about tonight's Pigeons show." I withheld the part about Vincent showing up and bullying Charles out of his seat. If Sylvie knew Vincent was most likely in DC, she would insist I call him so she could interrogate him.

"What else did you two talk about? He's clearly into you."

"You think so? I hadn't noticed."

Sylvie smacked my arm. "Are you so hung up on this VIP that you've lost your hot and horny radar? Charles is ready to go. You just need to wind him up."