Chapter 29

Flanked by my bodyguards, the three of us walked to the costume shop. On one side, there was Rizzo scrutinizing every person that passed by, and on the other, Griffin, who stopped to look into each store window. It made me wonder how often she got out.

"So, you say you met the governor at last year's Halloween party?" Rizzo said. "What did you think of him?"

"We didn't talk long enough for me to form an opinion. He was busy with the press. Do you know him?"

"No, but Vincent does. What did Vincent say when you told him you were doing this photo shoot?"

"I haven't told him yet. I just remembered I had the shoot this morning. With all the weirdness going on lately, the assignment totally slipped my mind."

Rizzo scrunched up his face as he offered a timid, "Oh."

"What? Vincent's going to have a fit about it, isn't he?"

Rizzo nodded. "Guaranteed, but if it is important to you, stick to your guns and he will get over himself. Just be prepared for an escort. He is not going to let you go by yourself."

"I won't be by myself. Sylvie, is coming with me."

Rizzo shook his head disapprovingly. "That is not what I meant."

Griffin patted my arm as she looked up at me with a pair of lively brown eyes. "You'll get the hang of Vincent eventually. We've all figured out the tricks that work with him, but you have an advantage over us."

"Oh? What's that?"

"Griffin, silence," Rizzo said as he shot a warning glance her way. "It might be best to keep your opinions to yourself."

Griffin's perpetual smile disappeared as she bit her lip. "Sorry, Reese. I have a habit of using my mouth before my brain. At least, that's the opinion of my family."

"Then we're cut from the same cloth, you and me." I flashed her a silly grin and she quickly joined me.

We spent the next hour in the Halloween shop, and Griffin helped me choose a sexy fairy costume. The gauze and wire wings had both Griffin and Rizzo chuckling, but they matched perfectly with the lavender crinoline skirt, purple tights, and strapless bodice, which was held together by crisscrossing ties in the front. When I modeled the outfit for them, Rizzo suggested I avoid showing Vincent the costume if I could help it.

Once we were back at the apartment, Griffin started working on lunch, and I offered to assist. She gave me a pile of veggies for the salad, and while I cut those up, she prepared pressed sandwiches. With my hands engaged in a task, my brain was free to roam, and I made the decision to tell Vincent about the Halloween gig over lunch. I had discovered that the Valentinos often ate their midday meal as a family, and it was my hope Vincent would take the news better in front of an audience.

Vincent arrived dressed in his sport coat, looking just as delicious as the meal Griffin and I had prepared, and I received a rare smile and an affectionate kiss as my greeting, which boosted my confidence that lunch would go well. As each family member showed up, they took a moment to talk to me and reiterate their gratefulness that I was there. It was then that I started second guessing my decision to bring up the Halloween gig. I didn't want to spoil the pleasant mood.

"Everything tastes delicious," Wren said as she patted Griffin on the arm. "Your culinary skills are improving by leaps and bounds.

"Reese made the salad," Griffin offered as she cut her sandwich into bite-sized squares.

Wren smiled across the table at me. "How nice. I hope you continue to make yourself at home here."

Yikes.