Chapter One

"Hands up!" I pointed the shaky gun at the man before me as he stared at me with a stern face.

"Kiden, put down the gun, now." He demanded, his blue eyes turning cold as ice as he glared at me. "You pussy, you won't shoot me."

I tightened my grip on the gun and started to debate if I really wanted to suffer the consequences of life in prison, my stomach curled and my forehead was having a little sweat form. Somehow, the gun started to shake once more and I was finding it hard to keep it pointed directly between his eyebrows, knowing it would be deadly shot. I flashed my eyes to my mom as she huddled in the corner with her left cheek swollen with an angry hand print on it, as well as her busted lip. She cupped her cheek while staring at me with a pitiful look on her face, I was confused about her disappointment, I was doing this for her. I looked to my step-dad as he glared at me and suddenly lunged toward me, I panicked as my heart jumped in my chest and my resting finger contracted, pushing on the trigger. A loud bang hung in the air as I felt blood rush to my head, followed by a large fist.

"Kiden Conner, found guilty with an Attempted Murder in the First Degree charge and Assault with a Deadly Weapon charge by a jury." The court bailiff read, making me look at him with my one good eye before turning to look back at the portly judge.

"Him?" The judge asked, raising an eyebrow, making me lower my eyebrows at his remark.

"Yes, Sir. Kiden Conner." The court bailiff repeated, making me glance at him once more then look back at the judge.

"Very well, Mr. Conner." I cocked my head as I stared at the man. "You were found guilty of Attempted Murder of your stepfather, Michael Crummit, I would like to give you a moment to give a last impression."

I pursed my lips in thought. "I'm not a bad person, Judge." I explained looking back at my stepfather with my timid, testifying mother beside him.

"I understand, Mr. Conner, is there a specific reason why?" The judge asked, making me quickly nod. "And what could that be?"

"He was beating my mother and I." I said, cocking my head so he could see I was talking about the healing bruises and swollen eye on my face. "I did it for her."

"I see... do you regret your decision?"

"Not at all," I said, correcting my posture as I stared at the judge as if he suddenly grew twelve snake heads, " even if it turned my own biological mother against me."

"Very well... I'm sentencing you to thirty-eight years, as well as a chance for parole in thirty in North Acres County Prison because I'm feeling very gracious today." The judge said, making me slowly nod as I stared at the table before me with just one eye.

Everything was completely shits but I accepted what was happening as my forearm was grabbed by a court officer and I was pulled to the door to the left of me, I guess realization hadn't hit me yet because I was very calm with fluent steps as I was led toward my new home. I glanced behind me and looked at the picture that would be seen for the next years of my life and remembered, my mom stood beside her abusive boyfriend as he sneered very openly at me. I couldn't do anything but shake my head, knowing I couldn't protect her anymore now that I was away but maybe that was her fault, not mine. Exactly, it was her fault, she didn't have to make it worse and testify against me that I wasn't acting with self-defense for us both, instead she told the onlookers that I had provoked him and maybe I had, but it was with reason. I looked at the ground with one eye, my left eye was completely shut and was no good at the moment, I hissed as I put to my weight on my sprained ankle and attempted to shift my weight immediately afterward.