21.

"Late night?" Elijah questions.

Klaus' pauses looking to his elder brother. "If you must know, then yes."

His dark eyes meet his blue ones. "We need to talk."

"Perhaps after breakfast brother, I am feeling quite peckish."

Elijah sighs as Klaus vanishes from the room. He knew this was going to be difficult, Klaus was never one to indulge in matters like this. After a moment he returns the room, a glass filled with red liquid in his left hand. He sighs taking a seat.

"So, I believe you said we needed to talk?"

There's a brief pause, Elijah thinking about his next words carefully. 

"I was simply wondering what drawn your attention to the intriguing Miss. Clara, to begin with?"

Klaus raises a brow, taking a sip of his drink. "Why brother? Has something about her caught your attention?"

Elijah's brows knit together at his brother calm demeanor, unsure if he is toying with him of indeed genuinely curious. A silence drifts around the brother's, minutes pass before Klaus' speaks.

"If you must know Elijah, she simply reminded me of someone."

"Who?" 

"What is this really about brother?" He questions leaning back in his chair.

Elijah pulls out the small sketchbook, flipping through the pages as if he knew the book better than the back of his hand. Finding the drawing he has looked over several times he hands the book to Klaus. 

Klaus snatches the book, quickly realizing it's his own. "Digging around through my things again Elijah?" 

"I had very good reasons to do so." He states meeting his gaze.

Klaus rolls his eyes, opening to the page his brother had marked. His eyes roam over the sketch, as his heart thumps against his ribs.

"What's the meaning of this?"

"I was hoping you could tell me."

Klaus' eyes snap up to his brother. "It this some kind of cruel joke?"

"You're telling me you don't remember that sketch?"

His eyes return to the paper, a smirk forming on his lips. "I see, you think this as your second chance of correcting a past mistake."

"Niklaus-"

Klaus throws the book across the room. "Why else would you bring it up, Elijah?" He questions angrily rising to his feet. "After all these years, you couldn't have her! So now-" He throws his glass against the wall. "Now you see Clara as an opportunity of finally getting the one who rejected you!"

"I gave her up!" Elijah roars standing to his feet. "I loved her so much that I let her go! I allowed her to live the life she wanted."

"And that just tore away at you soul didn't it?! Didn't it!?"

Elijah puts his hand against his brother's chest, giving him a hard shove. "Yes! Is that what you want to hear!? I was very much hurt that I wasn't enough for her! But I saw how she spoke of you, how her eyes lit up when she uttered your name! All I wanted was her to be happy! I knew that there was a relationship going on between the two of you-"

"And you were just so angry that she choose me that you killed her, didn't you!"

"No! I broke off our betrothal!"

Confusion washes over Klaus' features. "What?"

"I knew how unhappy she was the whole ordeal, I knew that her heart was not mine to keep. I gave her my blessing and that was the last I saw of her. All these years I thought it was your bloodlust that ended her."

"How dare you." Klaus spat. "I would have never hurt Selene."

Elijah swallows thickly, meeting his brother's intense stare. "If you did not harm her than what happened to her?"

Klaus shakes his head his gazing shifting to the ground. "She never met me that night." He states quietly. "My assumption was that it was you who had ended her life."

"Then I was the one who saw her last?" He questions softly.

Klaus shakes his head, waving off the memories. "I believe the question we need to be asking is if it is even possible that Clara could be Selene?" 

"And if she is." Elijah begins looking to the open book on the floor. His eyes gazing over his brother's sketch of her. "How is it that she is here now?"