My Buddy

We spent about four hours hanging out at the mall. We went to Bath and Body Works, Areopostal, Journeys, and the food court. She went home once we got to the Tower. I walked out of the elevator and started to go to my room but someone put their hand on mine. I turned to see Austin. I brushed my hair back with my hand and pulled my other hand out of his. "What do you want?"

"I'm sorry. I sho-"

"Austin. Why are you sorry? Apparently you can't stand how I am. Why are you sorry for something you can't change?" I asked. His lips met mine in a surprise kiss. He put his hand on the back of my neck. Holy shit. He was kissing me in front of everyone!! He broke the kiss but kept his hand on the back of my neck.

"Because I love you." He whispered. I gazed into his green eyes.

"What the hell was that?" Mr. Rogers asked.

"Back off, dad." Austin said. "Come here." He pulled me to my room. "Can we please get back together?"

"Austin....." I brushed a hand through my hair. Grant appeared in the doorway behind Austin. "Give me a while, Austin. I have a lot on my mind."

"Okay. I get it." He nodded. Austin gently kissed my cheek before leaving. Grant came into my room afterwards. I closed the door and laid on my bed next to Grant.

"Well." He chuckled. I laid on my belly, facing him.

"Grant. I am so happy that we can still be friends after we went through the shit we did." I smiled.

"Me too." He nodded.

"I don't think I should jump into another relationship with him, Grant." I sighed. "I mean, after you broke up with me, I had an all nighter with him and we got together not even three days later. Plus he kind of maybe went to Victoria's Secret with me." I muttered.

"What?!" Grant yelled.

"Just think of it like this; you got to have sex with me and Austin only got to see me in panties and a bra. So who got the best?" I raised my eyebrows.

"You've got a good point." He chuckled.

"Yeah so I'm not going to start dating him." I looked at my hands. "Do you think I really pissed off Fury?"

"Hell yes." Grant laughed.

"Where's my buddy?" I mumbled to myself and stood up.

"Who's your buddy?" He asked.

"Phil Coulson." I walked out of my room and went to the living room. Phil was in there. "Hey Phil? Can me and you talk?"

"Of course." He nodded. We went down to the shop. I sat on one of the tables. He stood in front of me.

"Did you hear?" I asked.

"Yep." He nodded.

"Is he pissed?"

"Yes." Phil whispered. I sighed.

"But I'm not ready, Phil. I'm not ready for responsibilities." I looked up at him.

"Danielle. Everything you said was what you needed to get off your chest. I believe you. You aren't ready for it. I can tell. But sometimes you need to take things seriously." Phil looked into my eyes.

"But Phil. That's how I escape from reality." Tears came to my eyes. "The real world is scary. Aliens, other worlds, gods that we never knew were real. Its scary. And joking around and being child-like is how I work through everything. Dad's told me stories about going into space and the hole thing. He's had panic attacks since then. They've slimmed down some but the memories are still there. Not knowing what's beyond Earth scares the day lights out of me. That's why I am how I am." I wiped my eyes. "I can't even imagine how you must feel with everything that happened to you."

"This job requires dedication and sacrifice. I'm not saying you need to change yourself, but you need to listen to Fury once in a while. I know that goes against you Starks but.." Phil chuckled. I laughed. "The world is full of evil and lies and pain and death and you can't hide from it, you can only face it." I thought about what he said for a while. "But don't change you, Danielle." I nodded.

"I was so not going to cry in front of Fury. I'm the only girl and I don't want to look vulnerable with a group of guys." I sniffled. "Thank you, Phil. You're a great friend." I got up and hugged him. He chuckled.

"If you ever need anything, you know where to find me." He winked and went up the elevator. I sat in my wheel chair and spun slowly in a circle.

"Ms. Danielle? Austin is on his way down." JARVIS said.

"Kay." I muttered. I sat on my desk and put my head on my knees.

I love Phil! He's so adorable!! Thank you guys so much for reading!!