Chapter 11: Hidden Emotions

Start from the beginning

He had already told me before that he thought the woods were too volatile and vicious for me to travel them alone, but I assumed that Danny knew them better than I did and could keep us safe.

I could feel him standing over me like a towering mountain, frowning deeply as he thought over what I had been trying to say. He bent down to give me a chaste kiss on the lips before grabbing his bag from the side table.

"It's too dangerous, love. I won't be able to protect you if you go out with Danny. Besides, Atticus would string me up if he knew I let Danny go out without him." Finn replied, shoving his phone in his pocket. "I don't know what I'd do if you got hurt and I wasn't there to save you."

I hated that he was treating me like a child that needed to be watched over at all times or I would somehow find a way to injure myself. He was being completely unreasonable.

He kissed my pouting lips, smiling softly before wrapping me up in one of his classic warm hugs.

I tried to stay angry at him, but he made it hard when he was so sweet to me.

"I won't be gone for too long." He promised, shuffling quickly down the stairs before blowing me one last kiss and disappearing through the dark door.

Danny was waiting behind me, twitching in fear and worry for the safety of his friend. I could tell that he and Drake didn't have the best relationship, but they still loved each other no matter what.

"Do you think he's okay?" I asked, trying not to give Danny more things to be anxious about.

He nodded and went down the stairs as Finn had mere seconds ago, except he moved to the couches and sat down.

I watched him wrap a blanket around his body and turn himself into a burrito of warmth and comfort.

Danny gestured for me to come over and join him in the large quilt, scooting over slightly to give me some room to sit down.

"He'll be okay, Danny." I said, folding the blanket that he was using over myself. "Drake's tough."

He nodded and laid his small head down on my shoulder, obviously holding back the pain that was threatening to burst out of him.

The moment seemed so similar to the times I had been in the hospital waiting room, sitting there and letting my terror drown me as thoughts kept popping into my head. What had happened in that hospital was worse than any of the scenarios I had imagined playing out.

"What if he doesn't come back?" he asked, sniffing and rubbing his red nose. "He thinks I hate him."

I shook my head and brushed his hair down. "He knows you love him, Danny. You don't think he hates you right?"

He nodded and wiped his face on the blanket laying over me, bringing his face up from my shoulder to focus on something else.

The movie he turned on was a cartoon, most likely a Disney film from what I could tell.

I hadn't seen many kids movies. My parents were focused on having me get a head start on education so I could get a great job and attend the best college out there. They got me hooked on books, even though I hated reading them in the beginning. Books transported me to different worlds where my life was filled with joy and I was no longer empty or sad all of the time.

Danny laughed lightly when one of the characters in the movie made a lighthearted joke, his warm smile starting to return to his face.

"Dammit," the deep voice came from the door, Atticus covered in tree branch scratches and dusted in snow.