Chapter 28: Dumbledore's Warning

31 January, 1944

I realize now that it has been over a month since I last wrote. You could concur that my mind has been elsewhere.

Adjusting to my now twice-fractured soul has been a journey in itself. I no longer feel a thrill in small activities such as learning and divulging myself in a book, although the delight in intimidating my lesser peers still remains. I will never grow tired of the fear in their eyes as I pass them in the corridors; the way they scatter to make way for me. As they rightfully should.

I thirst for more authority. I crave more power. I long to make every wizard in the world cower at the very thought of me. The desire to kill off every Muggle and Muggleborn abomination that crosses my line of vision grows stronger every waking minute. It's almost overwhelming how much I yearn to do so.

Gillert Grindelwald, a man I have come to admire throughout this war, believes wholeheartedly that wizards and witches are entitled to dominate Muggles. He was willing to start a worldwide wizarding revolution just to fortify his cause. While I agree with his reasonings, I do not believe he will be the one to obtain complete supremacy. Grindelwald lacks what I will soon have.

Everlasting life and absolute indestructibility.

- T.M.R

* * *

February, 1944

"Miss Carrow."

Corinne's hands faltered from where she was collecting her things, ready to depart from Transfiguration. She looked up at Professor Dumbledore, who was watching her expectantly from his desk, his long fingers clasped together before him. "Yes, sir?"

"May I have a brief word with you?" Dumbledore asked while rising from his chair, his voice calm despite the unsettling genre of question. His spectacles glinted brightly in the ray of morning sunshine that gleamed through the high stained glass windows, momentarily blinding Corinne.

"Of course, sir," Corinne said steadily, though she couldn't shake her apprehension that she'd done something wrong. It was hard to tell by his demeanor, since the professor was perpetually in a serene state.

From his strawberry-colored robes, Dumbledore produced a small tin that rattled as he placed it on his desk, gingerly prying off the lid and popping one of its contents into his mouth. Noticing Corinne watching him, he held out the tin so it was in her reach. "Lemon drop, dear?"

Fond of all types of candy, Corinne didn't decline his offer and took one. Her face puckered at the candy's tartness.

"Sit, if you will," Dumbledore instructed, nonverbally levitating a chair and placing it in front of his desk. Also wandlessly, he shut the door of the classroom and cast the Muffliato charm on it, insisting they needed privacy for her sake. Corinne nodded and sat down in the chair, her posture stiff and tense.

"Is everything all right, professor?" she asked.

"Oh yes," said Dumbledore, his eyes twinkling kindly. "You're not in trouble, Miss Carrow. No need to worry!" As soon as Corinne let out a breath of relief, his voice lowered as he added, "I only meant to ask about your wellbeing."

Corinne blinked, nearly choking on the lemon drop. "What do you mean?"

Dumbledore studied her for a moment in a way that reminded her of the way Tom looked at her sometimes; as though he were reading her thoughts. It made her fidget in her seat.