Chapter 6: A Late-Night Visitor

September, 1943

Corinne felt weak for running away from her problems, when she knew she was strong enough to handle herself. But after so many years of being bullied and stepped all over, she just snapped. Longterm torment had taken its toll on her. Now Corinne felt that the only thing she could do was hide to avoid getting hurt again. If she had to sleep in this very broom cupboard until she graduated, then so be it.

It's been over a week since Tom Riddle came across Corinne in the broom cupboard, and it boggled her mind that she hasn't been reported. Tom was all about enforcing the rules. So why did he simply just let her off the hook? It was so unlike him. Though Corinne was grateful Tom hasn't informed Headmaster Dippet on her nightly whereabouts.

Unfortunately, for the last couple of days, Tom had stopped speaking to Corinne. She wasn't going to lie; it was disappointing. Really, it was foolish of her to think she could befriend the Slytherin boy again. Corinne probably ruined that chance by getting caught sleeping in a bloody broom cupboard. Tom probably thought she was unbelievably pathetic, and never wanted to associate with her again.

Corinne couldn't even look at Tom again without bowing her head in shame.

The two had four classes together, but the one class that was difficult to ignore each other in was Potions. They were still Potions partners, so they were required to have some sort of communication. This wasn't very hard for Tom, since he did all the work. The two had a silent understanding; Corinne retrieved the ingredients while Tom brewed the potion. It was an awkward situation, but it worked.

Why did Corinne want to restore their somewhat "friendship" so badly? If anything, they were just Potions partners and nothing more.

At the moment, Corinne was in History of Magic, a class she was more dreadful at than Potions and Transfiguration. Professor Binns, their ghostly teacher, was like a machine that didn't stop relaying information, even if someone raised their hand and asked him to repeat something. Corinne had a slow hand and could never match the speed of her quill against parchment with the ancient professor. Halfway through the lesson, she'd give up and just listen, which is what the rest of the class did anyway. Except Tom, of course, whose quill was in synch with Professor Binns's every droning word.

Corinne sat near the front, close to Tom and his gang, which always made her nervous. The boys were chattering amongst themselves, distracting her from her note-taking.

"Riddle, are you alright?" asked Lestrange, who sat directly behind Tom. He was a tall, lanky boy with curly brown hair and a slightly pointed face. Though not as handsome as Tom, Lestrange was still very much widely popular with the females in their year. "You haven't really been acting like yourself since..."

"I suggest you shut up and quit running your mouth, Lestrange," Tom hissed, glaring daggers at Lestrange. "And what did I tell you about calling me Riddle?"

The tone in his voice was low and dangerous, sending a chill down Corinne's spine. She'd never heard him speak that way before. Did he always address his group members that way? The thought was chilling.

"Y-Yes, my Lord," Lestrange whispered, not saying another word afterwards.

Did Corinne hear him correctly? My Lord? She knew Tom tended to hold himself above others, but did he really classify himself as a Lord?

Once class ended, Tom was out the door first, as usual, leaving his group behind. The boys lingered in the classroom, so Corinne decided to take an extra long time to gather her things, listening to their hushed exchange.

"You dolt!" Alphard Black whispered to Lestrange furiously. Alphard had short black hair and big brown eyes, which were always lined with dark circles underneath. "You know what happens when you call him Riddle."