Chapter 27: Amortentia

January, 1944

1944 was already demonstrating itself to be eventful. The Second World War was still rampant across the European continent, wreaking devastation in the Muggle world. Tensions were just as high in the wizarding community. Grindelwald wasted no time to launch more attacks and mass slaughters. But at Hogwarts, it was just another year and another semester.

Even though lessons resumed two weeks ago, Corinne's mind was still on holiday mode. Each weekday morning she was met with the disheartening realization that she had school that day, when she would much rather remain curled up in bed- or now in her case, one of the plush green sofas in the Slytherin common room. Winter nights were much too brutal to withstand the broom cupboard any longer, even with a warming charm, so Corinne made the rather reluctant decision to find nightly refuge in the one place she vowed she would never return.

So far, none of her Slytherin peers have stumbled upon her while she slept in the common room every night. She was thoroughly careful to leave each morning before everyone woke up and to arrive late at night when everyone was up in their dormitories sleeping. Furtiveness was truly one of Corinne's gifts.

Corinne also started making the conscious effort to eat in the Great Hall everyday. Mostly for just breakfast, since it was the least busy mealtime, taking her lunch and dinner elsewhere to eat. Although there have been some days where she mucked up the courage to sit through all three meals, much to the delight of Euphemia Gates, who still made Corinne wonder why the girl was so fond of her. So much so that Euphemia chose today to sit by her at the Slytherin table for breakfast. Corinne tried to ignore the stares of her Slytherin peers watching her socialize in plain sight with a Gryffindor.

"Now Anya's gone mad for a 7th year Hufflepuff she's had her eyes on for a while," Euphemia rambled, filling Corinne in on the latest of everyone in her Gryffindor friend group. "She says he plays on their Quidditch team. The Keeper, I believe. She goes on and on about him when she doesn't even know his name!"

Corinne chuckled. "And what about Olivia? How is she holding up after...you know?"

Euphemia sighed, her expression crestfallen. "She won't talk to me, Corinne. I know she tends to keep her feelings to herself, but I'm worried about her. I can tell she really likes Septimus."

Although she didn't know Olivia well, Corinne was still sympathetic for the poor girl. Last week, rumors spread that Septimus Weasley and Cedrella Black were caught snogging by a teacher in an empty corridor. It was quite the scandal, and came as a shock to many. The couple became official later that week, and according to Euphemia, Olivia was heartbroken.

"Olivia probably just needs time..." Corinne's voice trailed off when the volume in the Great Hall abruptly dwindled. Everyone's gazes were fixed towards the entrance, where none other than Tom Riddle strolled into the room with his followers. Her heart somersaulted.

This was the first time he'd set foot in the Great Hall in weeks. Why he chose today to come back, Corinne didn't know. The only time she ever saw Tom anymore was in class, but even during those times he didn't seem like himself. He was more reserved than usual, more detached from what was around him. Tom acted like a different boy who didn't bother anymore to acknowledge who she was.

While his acting this way was nothing new, Corinne couldn't shake the feeling that there was another reason for his behavior that wasn't just because of their encounter on Christmas.

"Ah, the king and his loyal servants return to their people," Euphemia mused, her lips curled up in amusement. "Wonder what evil deeds he's been up to."

Corinne stared at Euphemia, momentarily confused. "What?"

Euphemia laughed, placing a hand on Corinne's shoulder. "I'm only joking, Corinne. I didn't know Riddle was such a sensitive subject for you."