Chapter 21: Carrow Mansion

December, 1943

The constricting sensation was over in seconds. While Cyrus and Tom landed gracefully, Corinne's feet collided roughly on the gravel, causing her to stumble forward. Smooth Apparition was never in her favor.

Cyrus barked out a laugh and grabbed her arm to steady her. He turned to Tom and whispered while gesturing beside him to Corinne with his thumb, "Always the klutz, this one."

Tom smirked. "I'm aware."

The boys exchanged chuckles, causing Corinne's face to turn a shade of magenta. "Don't talk about me as though I'm not here!"

"Sorry," Cyrus retorted, grinning. "But I'm afraid that goes against my job description as your annoying big brother."

Forgetting that Tom was present, Corinne did the only logical thing needed to taunt her brother. She stuck her tongue out at him.

This was a playful side of herself that she was careful to never demonstrate anywhere except around Cyrus. So when she met Tom's gaze and saw how taken aback he looked by her rather childish action, she couldn't help but shrug sheepishly in apology. He continued to stare at Corinne as if he were just beginning to see the real her. She wasn't sure if she liked that idea or not.

"Well, Tom," said Cyrus, sweeping his arm out wide towards the looming mansion at the end of the gravel driveway. "This is it. Our humble abode!"

"Humble wouldn't exactly be my word of choice," mumbled Corinne.

"It's certainly larger than I imagined," Tom commented.

Carrow mansion was an aged white-brick, three-story structure with a stone wall arranged in a semicircle around the property. Neatly trimmed hedges were situated on either side of the lawn, the tops coated with a layer of powdery snow. Yellowed grass was also dusted with snow, as well as the two large cypress tress on both sides of the property. The roof peaked on three areas of the mansion, the center alcove forming a stone balcony. Above the tall wooden front door was an elegant arch in an intricate design you may see outside of a cathedral.

A series of stone steps led up to the entrance, where inside was what Corinne dreaded most. The rest of her family.

She began to question herself as Cyrus rambled on about the mansion to Tom. Why did she agree to this? Why did she think dragging Tom along was a wise idea? Why was it so easy for Tom to persuade her to come home and face one of her worst fears? She seriously debated canceling the whole ordeal altogether and retreating back to the comfort of Hogwarts with Tom.

But what would Tom think of Corinne if she let fear control her once again? Would he call her a coward? His opinion mattered greatly to her, and she didn't think she could bear his look of disapproval and disgust at her lack of a backbone. Not only that, but Cyrus would also surely be disappointed. Corinne couldn't let her brother down and make him face their family alone this Christmas.

Running away was just what her parents and other siblings expected her to do. She had to prove them wrong. She had to show them that she was a Carrow and she was not afraid.

Without a trace of hesitation, Corinne led the trio up the front steps of the mansion to the entrance. When she was little, she was always amazed by height of the tall, heavy oak double doors. Carved into the wood were swirling, branching patterns. The Carrow family crest- two roaring lynxes- was engraved at the center where the doors met. Ornate brass door knockers were hinged on either door, topped with small detailed lynx statues.

Gathering up the nerve to knock, Corinne turned to Tom and let out a shaky sigh. "Look, before we go inside, I should warn you that our family..."

"Is complicated," Cyrus finished for her helpfully. "I don't guarantee that they will be kind in consideration that it's almost Christmas. Especially our parents. They don't particularly like to celebrate holidays like normal families."