Chapter 18: Slughorn's Christmas Party

December, 1943

Tom checked his pocket watch again for, he did not realize, the dozenth time since he had entered the Entrance Hall.

7:50

Corinne was five minutes late for their arranged meeting time. Now they surely would not arrive at Professor Slughorn's party in the sensible five minutes beforehand in which the occasion was set to begin. Under no circumstance would he ever show up late. Not only would it go against his own punctuality, but it could possibly rouse suspicion in others if he were to enter Slughorn's office with his arm linked with Corinne's, as though the two of them were partaking in something that made them late. There was no need giving anyone the wrong idea.

Making an impatient noise, Tom started up the main staircase, meaning to march up to the broom cupboard by the library that occupied Corinne and drag her out whether she was ready or not. Just as he reached the first landing, his eyes downcast on his feet, he stopped short when the clacking of heels sounded loudly above him. He brought his gaze up and saw a girl in a light pink gown slowly heading down the stairs, lifting her skirts and managing each step with extreme caution. Tom nearly smirked at her obvious inexperience with walking in evening wear. He looked away for only a brief moment before returning his attention to the girl, and that's when he realized...

Suddenly, he was overcome with a sensation like being punched in the gut.

"Good evening, Tom," said Corinne, halting on the bottom step just before him. He was able to take in her appearance from head to toe.

She was barely recognizable at first glance. Probably for the first time in her life, Corinne was wearing makeup, which emphasized the shape of her cheekbones, her long eyelashes, the kaleidoscopic hazel of her eyes, the rosiness and delicate curve of her lips...

Do not look at her lips, you fool.

Her brown locks were pulled back into an elegant bun, revealing her long, slender neck and prominent collarbones. Daringly, Tom allowed his eyes to rake downwards at the areas where her gown hugged each and every curve almost temptingly. Never did he realize that Corinne had such a figure; that she actually had one.

"Tom?" she asked softly, her eyebrows scrunched in confusion. "Is everything alright?"

Should he compliment her? Should he tell her that she looked beautiful? That she had literally knocked the air out of him? For some reason, no words would form on his tongue. Corinne Carrow had left him completely speechless.

"You look..." Tom started to say, then abruptly pressed his lips together when he remembered what his intentions for tonight were. This was not meant for his pleasure or leisure. This was crucial towards his plan. His plan, and nothing else. Absolutely nothing.

Tom sighed through his nose and held out his arm, gesturing for Corinne to take him by the elbow. "Shall we?"

Hesitantly, she obliged and linked her arm with his. Tom proceeded to lead the way, mentally bracing himself for what would most likely be a long evening.

* * *

As dramatic as this may sound, the sight of Tom Riddle in dress robes had literally taken Corinne's breath away.

He wore all black, highlighting his porcelain pale skin and dark hair. The only pop of color on him was the pinkness of his lips and the rich blue of his eyes that bore into her, taking in her appearance as she was doing to him. His jaw clenched, bringing Corinne's studying gaze to the slopes and structure of his face and jawline. Tom was always exceedingly handsome, but when he was dressed up like this...