Chapter 20: Departing for the Holidays

19 December, 1943

In just a few hours time, I will be departing with Corinne to her residence, Carrow mansion. I'm very much pleased that the exemplary opportunity presented itself to me. Soon, I will have complete access to the Carrow's collection of the wizarding world's most valuable objects. Reliable sources tell me that there, I will find just what I need.

I can practically feel Salazar Slytherin's locket already in my grasp.

As for how I managed to get mine and Corinne's names on the list of students departing for the holidays, it was quite simple, really. I am persuasive even to the most suspicious of beings. Dumbledore's vacuous state has yet again overshadowed his undeniable wariness of me.

With that being said, I daresay I'm very much looking forward to Christmas and my birthday this year.

- T.M.R.

* * *

"Remind me again how you were able to get our names on Dumbledore's list at the last minute?" Corinne asked Tom for the third time since they'd climbed aboard the Hogwarts Express in Hogsmeade. The first two times she'd questioned him, he'd simply shrugged it off as though it were nothing to worry about. Despite that, Corinne still wanted to know.

"Do you really think I, a Prefect, would let us board this train when we weren't supposed to?" said Tom, briefly peering up from the copy of Introduction to the Dark Arts that he frequently held in his possession, shaking his head. "You really ought to trust me more, Corinne."

"I'll possibly begin to trust you if you'd just tell me. What did you do? Bribe Dumbledore? Turn in the next month's worth of Transfiguration homework?"

"More like the next year's worth."

For a moment, Corinne thought he was being serious. It was something he was likely to do. But when his face broke into a grin to let her know he was joking, she attempted to reach across the train compartment- containing only the two of them- and smack him. "Tom."

"Well, if you must know," he said, his lips upturned in a thoughtful smile, as if he knew an important secret that she didn't. "Dumbledore was very easy to persuade. I'm quite favored among the Hogwarts staff."

"Oh, I'm aware." Corinne snorted. Teacher's pet.

Tom shut his book and set it beside him on the seat. "You really should be thanking me for granting you the ultimate gift."

"Which is?"

"Why, to see your beloved family for Christmas, of course."

Beloved, my ass, Corinne thought cynically. She crossed her arms, bemused. "Haven't we had a conversation sort of like this? Why does hearing 'thank you' bring you so much satisfaction?"

"Doesn't it satisfy everyone?" Tom retorted, falsely innocent. "And yes, I do believe I recall that prior conversation. It took place in the broom cupboard, the night we first...you know."

"Kissed?" Corinne blurted aloud before she could stop herself. The boy before her smirked victoriously as her eyes widened and her cheeks reddened at the intimate memory. He clearly found delight in toying with her.

Before he could reply, the door the the compartment slid open, revealing seven boys, all of which were members of Tom's tight-knit group. Corinne recognized them as Lestrange, Avery, Rosier, Mulciber, Antonin Dolohov, Alphard Black, and Abraxas Malfoy. They each had quite a reputation in Slytherin house. Not only that, but they were fiercely loyal to Tom.