Chapter 8: Tight Spaces

October, 1943

Though Corinne complained to herself and her diary about Hogwarts every day, there were times she enjoyed that she failed to realize sometimes. The holidays were always a splendid time, even for the loneliest and non-festive of people. Christmas was always an over-the-top occasion at Hogwarts, but a holiday that came in at a close second was, without a doubt, Halloween. Each Halloween was consistently grander than the previous one. That was a fact.

This year's festivities were expectedly glamorous, with huge floating pumpkins with candlelit faces, enchanted live bats fluttering from the walls, and ominous black clouds hanging low from the bewitched ceiling. That morning in the extravagantly decorated Great Hall, while Corinne was retrieving her breakfast of a muffin and two slices of bacon, she stopped to sniff the air, which smelled deliciously of baking pumpkin and various candies. She glanced around, figuring, Maybe no one will notice me. What's the harm of eating in the Great Hall today like everyone else?

Corinne carefully found a vacant area of the Slytherin table, as if the bench would creak and her invisibility would be ruined. She had just taken a fairly large bite of her muffin when she felt someone plop down beside her, causing her to jump like a startled cat and choke.

"Oh, terribly sorry!" said the girl beside Corinne, with vibrant hazel eyes, fair skin, and long, beautiful dark brown hair. Corinne recognized her as Euphemia Gates, a popular 6th year Gryffindor.

Why would she be talking to me, of all people? she thought, fidgeting uncomfortably in her seat, which Euphemia noticed and scooted away sheepishly.

"Are you new here?" Euphemia, who was much too friendly for Corinne's liking, asked, smiling. "I didn't know Hogwarts accepted transfers. My name is Euphemia, and you are?" She held out her hand for Corinne to shake, who stared at her like she was aiming her wand at her.

"Uh...Corinne," Corinne stuttered, then squinted in confusion. "I'm sorry but Euphemia, I'm not new here. I've been  here since first year. We're even in the same Defense Against The Dark Arts class this year."

Euphemia entire pale face reddened in embarrassment. "Oh, I'm so sorry, Corinne! I just haven't seen you around here before, that's all. You would think I would have noticed you at least once!" She chuckled nervously, looking anywhere but at Corinne.

Don't take it personally, Corinne thought, not very surprised that someone that she's known since first year claims to have never seem her before. You're not the only one.

"It's alright," she replied softly, wanting to leave the Great Hall as soon as possible. Sitting in here was a terrible idea.

But Euphemia wasn't done yet. Corinne could tell she was one of those people who desperately wanted everyone to know and like her. She almost felt sorry for her at the moment.

"I came over here because you looked kind of lonely," Euphemia explained, offering a kind smile. "Would you like to come over to the Gryffindor table and sit with me and my friends? Don't worry, they're perfectly normal. Well, maybe Fleamont is an exception to that."

Corinne turned in her seat to follow Euphemia's gaze towards her 6th and 5th year friends. Staring back was a group of harmless-looking students. There was Fleamont Potter of Gryffindor, Euphemia's longterm beau, a quite handsome boy with untamed black hair, dark eyes, and a mischievous smirk permanently plastered on his face. Sitting next to Fleamont was Septimus Weasley, a freckled ginger boy with impish features that reminded Corinne of an elf. Across from Fleamont and Septimus were blonde twins Ludovic and Leona Lovegood of Ravenclaw, known for being a bit odd but very intelligent. Lastly, next to the twins was Augusta Longbottom of Gryffindor, a curly-haired, mousy girl who appeared very timid.