Chapter 5: Getting Caught

September, 1943

It had been a little over a week since Corinne had moved herself out of her dormitory, and she was beginning to appreciate just how comfortable her old bed was. Her new substitute of a bed was a cot she had "borrowed" from the hospital wing. Sure, it was without permission, but Corinne would return the cot once she figured out a better living arrangement. At least her invisibility has proven itself handy. Being sneaky was probably the only Slytherin quality Corinne possessed.

As for where her temporary living quarters was located, well...it was a broom cupboard near the library. It sounded incredibly sad whenever Corinne thought about it, but where else could she go? She couldn't exactly sleep in the library, even though she would much prefer that than a cramped broom cupboard.

Luckily, no one entered the cupboard at nights while Corinne was sleeping. Neither Filch or the patrolling Prefects had stumbled upon her yet, much to her surprise. Although, just in case anyone were to go in there while Corinne was at her lessons, she used the Shrinking charm to reduce the size of her belongings, hiding them out of sight behind the shelf of cleaning supplies. As depressing as the situation seemed, Corinne was quite proud of herself for not getting caught. She wondered how long she could live in the broom cupboard without being noticed.

Corinne still hadn't found the courage to sit in the Great Hall during mealtimes, fearing Olive Hornby and her friends would make a fool of her again. It was bad enough sharing classes with them, which Corinne unfortunately couldn't avoid. So, she always snuck into the Great Hall early before meals started, stuffing food into her bag and proceeding to eat it in the refuge of her broom cupboard. It was a rocky system at first, but Corinne had gotten better at making swift escapes. It was amazing how oblivious people could be.

Today was Saturday, and it was also the first Hogsmeade trip of the school year, to Corinne's delight. That meant everyone would be out today, leaving her to relax in the solitude of the library all day without anyone to bother her. Having studied Filch's Saturday cleaning pattern, Corinne discovered he entered the broom cupboard by the library and mopped the floors in that area sometime around noon. She made sure to stay out of his way.

Upon stepping into the library, finishing off the last bit of toast that she'd eaten on her way up, Corinne realized she wouldn't be alone today after all. The handsome boy sitting at the farthest table from the door was honestly the last person she wanted to see right now. So why was her brain saying that, but her legs were already making her head straight towards him?

A lump formed in her throat as she sat down across from Tom, pulling out her book to attempt to hide her burning face. Daring to glance up, she nearly choked under Tom's glare, which reflected an intimidating look that said, How dare you sit in my presence.

"Why aren't you at Hogsmeade?" Tom said lowly, casually continuing to read a book titled, Introduction to the Dark Arts.

"Most likely for the same reason you're not either," Corinne replied, eyeing the book in his hands. "That's a curious read you've got there."

The corner of Tom's lip lifted slightly, his eyes still fixated inside the book. "It's just something I came across as I was browsing." Then he glanced up briefly at Corinne's own book. "That wouldn't happen to be the diary in which you wrote about me, would it?"

"No!" Corinne said maybe a bit too defensively. She then realized that she actually was holding her diary and quickly shoved it back in her bag.

Tom set his book down and intertwined his slender fingers together. "No need to be ashamed, Corinne. You're definitely not the only female in this school who is smitten with me."