8. soldier

Soldier - Fleurie

~

soldier keep on marching on

head down till the work is done

waiting on that morning sun

soldier keep on marching on

~

I couldn't help but see Ross's face when their eyes widened with the realization that this was it, the air was perfumed with their deaths and a sick feeling settled in my stomach at the satisfaction on my classmates' faces, that I was like them once.

we are different Ross's words came back to me, and I steeled myself, realizing how far gone my thoughts were and I willed myself to believe him, that Nosferatus and the bloodthirsty vampires we were now killing were different.

Ross was so human, no matter how much he showed me how different from us he was, he still seemed so human to me. Nothing like the vampires I grew up knowing and hearing about, I just couldn't wrap my head around how I felt.
Human life was precious to me, if I viewed Ross and those like him as a human then where did that put me? In league with vampires? More human because of my compassion?

"What's on your mind, Brenan?"

I jumped, just as Jeoffrey turned to me, the scar a tone lighter than his brown skin on full show, I tried my hardest not to show my nervousness as he scrutinized me "You looked very satisfied the last time we did this, now you look almost sick, are you regretting your decision of joining us?"

I swallowed heavily before replying "No, I've just been feeling a little ill that's all"

"You're not able to get sick Brenan"

He was staring at me too intently and my brows drew together " humans get sick all the time"

"Have you seen anyone here ever fall ill?"

the feeling of wanting to throw up came hard and fast "yes I have" I said hotly "you didn't bring just 10 orphans here sir, there were fifteen of us, even though you all refuse to acknowledge that. I haven't forgotten and you shouldn't either"

Jeoffrey seemed disappointed as he folded his arms, "I don't know why I expected more from you Brenan, you seemed very believable the first day I met you" he muttered before walking off, Ace and his team of ten walked by my team, winking at me as he did "Catch you tomorrow Brenan" he said and I rolled my eyes.

flirt

"this is interrupting your normal schedule so just like last time, get your checkup then, get some rest and we will pick you guys up around 12 am to start the day" Jeoffrey announced, we shook our head, all of us heading back to headquarters, my mind replaying our conversation. It wasn't like Jeoffrey to talk like that, it wasn't like him to talk at all as a matter of fact.

I wondered what changed.

The memory of Jeoffrey telling me that a soldier always follows orders flitted through my mind, I had been crying in the hallway after another Orphan had died, I had felt as if our lives weren't valuable to the people above us.

Jeoffrey had said that if I wanted to be valued I had to show my worth, and I'd do that by following orders and being the best soldier I possibly could, now that I thought about it, it did make sense that he was disappointed in me.

I felt disappointed in me.

Ashen, Marisa, Oliver and I all crowded into the overly bright office of Dr. Eddison, he seemed surprised, bushy eyebrows rising.

"She told you the injections made her sick why did you continue to administering them?"

I balked, quickly jumping before them to remedy the situation after Ashen's harsh accusal "sorry about that Dr. Eddison, but we were just concerned about Marisa, the injections seem to have a really bad effect on her and we just wanted to know why you kept on giving it to her despite that"

Dr. Eddison composed himself a puzzled look still etched on his face " well it's mandatory for your team to take them"

"What do you mean mandatory for my team? don't they also give it to team A?"

The doctor cleared his throat, shifting in his seat once again, "well I'm not in charge of them" he offered and I narrowed my eyes at him "what exactly is it, doctor?"

"well it helps enhance performance"

"What's it made of?" I pushed and sweat began to trickle at the sides of his temple as he stuttered

"Herbs and such, energy boostin-"

"You don't even seem to know yourself" I muttered suspiciously.

"Can she stop getting the injections?" Ashen's face looked as if it was made of stone, I could tell he was irritated, he hated talking to people who got flustered easily.  The doctor shook his head "Look it's mandatory until I'm told otherwise by those above me there is nothing I can do"

Ashen's jaw ticked "whatever punishment they issue I'll take it, let's go Sam" He took Marissa by the wrist and pulled her through the door.

Alarmed doctor Eddison jumped up "wait, young man, wait"

He ran through the door with them and Oliver awed in amazement "Gosh that guy Ashen can be dense one minute and so cool the other" he muttered " Whatever punishment they issue, I'll take it" Oliver mimicked him.

"wasn't that cool" he knocked me with his shoulder to get my attention but I was too focused on the tiny bottle with the questionable liquid "hey what are looking at?"

I walked towards the cupboard, taking a vile from the very back before standing beside Oliver again just as Dr. Eddison, out of breath and cursing entered the office once again.

I played it cool as Doctor Eddison cursed to himself but I couldn't help the way the pit of stomach burned, was I betraying the very foundation that gave me a reason to live, what exactly was I doing?

"Please tell me you two are here to get your injections" he muttered hopefully, Oliver and I nodded

"Juice me up Doc" Oliver said cheerfully, winking as he took a seat.

I stared at the doctor inject OIiver, feeling the fire in my stomach intensify, I was not cut out for the life of a double agent.

A/N

How are you liking it so far?