6. Hypnotic

Hypnotic - Zella Day

~

Magnetic 

everything about you

you really got me ,now

you do to me so well

Hypnotic

taking over me

~

The guards of the City all stood on the outskirts of the square, all black and motionless figures, the patrons milled around, staring at the art being displayed on large white canvas's, so far I only saw Art depicting the darkness that was Krizac, few had small blossoming plants and one in particular was a drawing of the recently opened bar in the light of sunset, that was by far my favorite.

Art seemed to cheer most persons up, as they generously paid for their portrait, so little was considered beautiful that the people took in whatever they could once it was safe. Sometimes I felt as if we forgot to live because of the war, everything was about survival.

I had volunteered to work today because the annual Art festival had always been a place i'd felt content at, I learned how to deal with the nostalgic feeling it brought back, block out the small happy faces that were once around me, their laughs . . their smiles.

I stood motionless, viewing the area silently, the sun beat down on us, my all black uniform suffocating me with the heat it retained. I tried not to shift uncomfortably as my eyes scanned the area once more, most times people forgot that vampires weren't the only cruel creatures.

Humans could be much worst.

 spotting a lone figure leaning against the wall just beyond the shadows I stared hard, my body going rigid as sharp hazel eyes came into focus and I swore my heart froze in my chest, he pushed himself off the wall, a smirk making its way to his lips as he strode forward, closer and closer to the spot where the shadows ended and the sun sizzled, just waiting to get a taste of Vampire flesh. 

I didn't know what made his smile broaden, maybe the horror-stricken look on my face, after all I had wanted him dead just last night or a morbid satisfaction at the thought of his own demise, either way, it made my stomach turn.

hands gripped my shoulder and Ace's unique scent wafted around me, the first rays of sunlight caught the dark tresses of hair that fell in his forehead, then if possible they brightened his eyes and before I could stop and reason with myself I shot forward, hugging him by his midsection and pushing him back under the cover of the shadow, where he belonged. 

I swallowed as his amused gaze flickered down to me, I tried to tell myself that I was doing this to prevent chaos from destroying such a perfect day, that if the crowd saw a vampire in the day, at a time when they thought they were completely safe it would be catastrophic, children would have nightmares of his skin blistering and burning right before their eyes, hell, even I would have nightmares. 

I quickly withdrew my hand from his rather toned midsection my cheeks burning despite the glare I threw at him 

"Are you out of your mind!"

"Sky" Ace came into view, his questioning teal gaze on me "you just left your post what's wrong?" He leveled a glare on Ross.

"Is everything okay?"

"Yea" I muttered, giving him an encouraging smile, "I told him where to find me" I paused for a moment when Ace stood still and my heart raced wondering if he could see behind Ross's facade for the bloodsucker he was. I sure as hell missed it.

"We have a date" Ross announced and I nearly balked but Ace was staring at me too intently and my smile widened, or I hoped it was a smile and not a grimace, Ace's eyes narrowed "Well your shift isn't over until the next hour Sky" he said after a moment, I allowed my smile to drop slowly, resisting the urge to massage my aching jaw.

"Yep"

He stared at us for a next moment before walking away, I turned to Ross but he was already walking through the alley "Nixons bar" he turned, a devilish smile on his charming face " I trust you remember it" I rolled my eyes, wondering how much more infuriating one vampire could possibly be. 

After another hour I left my post without a word, I could feel Ace's eyes piercing my back as I made my way through the Alley, hiding in the dark until I found my way to  Nixon's bar, the sun was just about to set and already the streetlights were on.

The beat traveled through the bar in a low hum, which wasn't odd at this hour, the lights already dim even though it was just after six and the night had just begun, I expected to see Ross at the bar, lounging casually a drink in hand and his signature smirk on his sculpted face, but he wasn't and I scanned the crowd with ease, trying my best to fit in despite the simple black V neck I wore and black cargo pants.

I spotted him in the far back of the bar, the red and green party lights flashing across the half of his face that wasn't attached to a girls neck, Ross had his muscular arm around a female as they rocked slowly, I frowned watching as he seemed to be kissing her neck passionately and time seemed to freeze as I stared in shock, at a vampire feeding right in the middle of the city, a spot currently littered with vampire slayers.

The woman looked as if she was on cloud nine seemingly was enjoying every moment of it and when his eyes caught mine, they lightened and shun with humor, as he gave the woman another slow sensual lick then sent her on her way with a look of complete bliss etched on her face.

My hand eased off the stake slowly not quite remembering when i'd reach for it, it was more like a reflex. He must've realized I was too shocked to even move because he walked towards me a slow and flirtatious smile making its way to his face, my hands itched to drive my stake through his chest but I knew it would be a very, very stupid move.

He seemed to notice my murderous expression because he paused, scrutinizing me like someone would a wild bear.

" if you're not going to use that slayer, dance with me" I rose an eyebrow, even though my insides erupted with life, he grinned, a true non-violent, non-sarcastic, non-devious or cocky grin then he took me into his arms without warning.

"Just live, even if it's for a moment" I heard him say as he forcefully began moving us into a slow dance, but I stiffened despite the warmth his body radiated - odd, and the sweet way he caressed my back, because people died so I could be where I was, people I grew up with and loved and I didn't think I was doing them justice by dancing with a bloodsucker, no matter how un-vampire like he was.