3. Kill of the Night

Kill of the Night - Gin Wigmore

~

The danger is i'm dangerous

and I might just tear you apart

i'm gonna get you

I wanna taste the way that you bleed

you're my kill of the night

~

I woke up with a jarring headache, one that made me double over in pain as I fell from the bed in shock "Guess I wasn't as excellent as I thought" I muttered bitterly remembering yesterdays training. I groaned standing, sighing at my workout gear that I was still in, come to think of it, I couldn't remember getting in.

I looked around in confusion trying to recall what happened when I left practice but as I tried to think of it another jab of pain made me gasp in shock, I groaned, checking the time to see it was after eleven, by far the earliest i'd ever woken up since joining the team.

I sighed, rubbing my temples, my vision catching the burnt copy of my atlas lying open at the foot of my bed, I frowned running my fingers along the page that was an orange brown with an almost crispy texture due to how close it had been to the fire.

I ran my fingers along the page that showed the map of the world, or the old world. The drawing presented by the book nolonger existed, because the monsters destroyed it forty nine years ago and they still continued to plague us, even behind the safety of our walls.

I showered, putting on another set of training gear to practice in the gym on our floor. It was Saturday and usually we were given the day off. Ashen, Oliver and Marissa were still asleep, we weren't early sleepers due to our job.

After about three hours of training I headed towards my shared apartment with the three other members of my team. Ashen was in the kitchen making breakfast as usual, he grinned when he saw me "Well that's a first, you're up before me" I snorted, removing my gloves. "Speaking of which, did you see me get in lastnight?"

Ashen shrugged, setting up the table with side dishes and bowls of white rice "Nah, we actually went out to the new spot that just opened up out by Millard, no surprise that it was packed with a bunch of youngsters"

"the older people are really terrified" I concluded, afterall alot of them were alive during it or were born when the after effects of the war still shook the earth.

But the young, they didn't know danger if it bit them in the ass, behind the wall was like a safe haven, no vampires were spotted for the first forty years, but then the people became too complacent, too overly confident in their safety behind the wall that Vampires more than likely began finding ways to penetrate the wall and now they were within, wrecking havoc and the young were all for the new thrill.

Marissa and Oliver joined us in a small while and soon we were eating our meal, Oliver asking if I wanted to check out the club myself, I nodded, I knew whoever opened the club wasn't dumb enough not to have security but where ever a beating heart was during the night, a vampire wasn't far behind.

The club was bustling with life even though it was well past ten and prime time for vampires, I tried to keep an attentive eye on what was happening outside but couldn't help but laugh at Marissa's antics with Oliver. Ace sat in a booth with the other six members of the team and after emptying his cup he joined me at the bar.