1. This is The Hunt

This is The Hunt - Ruelle

~

Our faith is beckoning

We're coming

after you, nowhere to run

This is the hunt

~

The sun set over the horizon, casting a soft golden glow along the grey buildings towering over Millard square, the city lights automatically yellowed the concrete square and just like a switch I could feel the tension in the air.

See the hurried shuffle of the patrons as they walked home, the almost fearful look in their eyes as they watched the sun with longing, with pleading eyes, begging it to stay, to chase the monsters away.

I looked across the expanse of the city from the roof of one of the tallest buildings, The glow of the sun obscured by the looming circular grey wall surrounding us, its large structure casting a shadow across half the city. A shadow that vampires liked to play in.

My team and I surveyed the square from the roof, our location well hidden from the wondering eyes below. The streets began emptying like water from a broken dam, the impending darkness enough to make most citizens run to the safety of their homes.

And right in the middle of them stood the daredevils, the wide eyed ones with a wicked sense of curiosity , the thrill seekers .. . The easiest snack for a vampire.

Ten of us stood on the roof, the air sizzling with tension as we all anticipated our trip into the darkness.

For five years we trained night and day for this one night to prove our worth, we had one goal and that was to kill any blood sucking vermin we laid eyes on, Our head supervisor Jeoffrey McCallum remained un-moving from his post on the edge of the building.

Hard set eyes watched the streets below, an ugly ragged scar ran below his left eye to his chin from an age old fight with a vampire and the golden sunset highlighted it in gory details. He was one of the most well-known Vampire slayer, A living legend and I wanted to be just like him.

On another rooftop directly across from us, ten more vampire slayers in training gathered, the A team, the team with children of vampire slayers, councilmen and high up officials. One member stood out with his impressive height and bleached white hair that was peaking through a black tam.

traditionally, they were the perfect choice for vampire slayers, perfect genes, perfect background, perfect system to keep the money in the upperclass. I didn't have the courage to question my existence there, why they took ten orphans to train for such an important role and it didn't matter. I was one of the chosen and they only asked one thing of me, Kill vampires. Thankfully, I knew that was my calling.

Jeoffrey turned to us, his movements fluid and calculated "This is nothing like you've done in the test room, these vampires have not been drugged or chained, your only back up is each other so be on alert"

"i'm not in the mood to drag a corpse to headquarters" he muttered as he moved away conversing with the other supervisor through hand signals. "be off, three groups"

We slid along the wall stained black from soot, even after 49 years the city was still trying to rebuild itself, new buildings stood among the old, but they couldn't hide what a shell of a city we lived in, what a shell of a people we have become.