Paranoia

Chapter Sixteen: Paranoia

________________________________________________

(Sideswipe's POV)

The skies had turned dark, and the sun fell behind the dark horizon. I was arriving back on base from a patrol round when I picked up a human on my sensors. I smiled when I realized it was Charlie. A small flutter of excitement laced my spark, and I raced over to her, transforming smoothly. I could feel the brooding presence of Sunstreaker looming in the bond, but I ignored him as I grinned at Charlie, "Hey Schlemiel."

 Almost immediately after I spoke, her "heart" or whatever the slagging organics called it, picked up instantly. 

Her eyes were wider than normal, and I knew something was up. Was she sick? Is she hurt? Did Ironhide hurt her in the training class? I swear, I'll kick his fragging aft. I snapped out of my internal musing when she hopped off the crates and turned to run. I picked her up as gently as I could and brought her closer to me, trying to scan for any signs of wounds or illness.

She wouldn't fraggin' sit still while I scanned her. She kept trying to wriggle out of my grasp, so I tightened my grasp on her slightly so she wouldn't fall and kill herself. "What's up with you? Why are you so jumpy?"

She ignored me, still trying to wriggle around, "Sideswipe, put me down!"

I frowned, "Charlie?"

She grunted, "Let me go!"

The concern was only growing, "Not until you tell me what the pit is going on. Seriously Charlie, what's wrong?"

Finally, she stopped trying to wiggle, and when she did she looked up at me and her face contorted to a look of pain. Something inside my spark clenched at the look, "Sideswipe, leave me alone. I...I don't want to be around you anymore!"

My sparked slowed for a moment.

I wasn't expecting her to say something like that.

My grip faltered, and my spark clenched again. Sunstreaker muttered something over the bond, but I couldn't focus on it. All I could focus on was the femme in my servo, looking for all the world like she was going to break down in tears in the next astrosecond. What did I do? Did I hurt her? "But, Char-"

"Please."

That one word seemed to sting the most, and without another thought I lowered her back to the ground. As soon as she was on ground again, she turned and ran. It sent my processors whirling as I replayed the whole entire scene several times in my helm.  Was she upset about something? Why does she hate me all of a sudden? 

What did I do? That particular question was the one echoing inside of my processors.

::Forget about her Sides, the fragging little worm isn't worth it.:: Sunstreaker spoke up again in the bond. He sensed my disturbance.

::But what did I do? I'm so confused...:: I looked down at the ground helplessly.

::Sideswipe. Let it go, she doesn't want you around her anymore. No use wondering why, just deal with it.:: He said sternly, but I could feel the grim satisfaction slowly flowing into the bond, and I mentally punched him as hard as I could. He punched even harder, and I hissed as my processor flared up with pain from the mental blow.

::Slaggit Sunny!::

::Stop calling me that.::

::Make me!::