Introspective

Annnd this is where the editing kicks in.

Chapter Fifteen: Introspective

__________________________________

I slowly opened the pale, white envelope, blinking back the tears as I pulled out a neatly folded paper. My hands unfolded the paper gingerly, and I had to bite my lip to withhold a whimper at the sight of my dad's familiar handwriting. All the memories from the kidnapping came swirling back to me, and my heart ached.

 I wished so badly I could still be with them. I'd give anything in the world just to see their warm, familiar faces. But I shook the deficient thoughts away, smoothening the letter in my hand as I read it.

Dear Charlie,

We're all very relieved to know that you are safe for the moment, but we are still worried about you. Your mother and brother didn't take the news so well, but it saddens me that you can't be in my arms right now. I will probably never understand the exact reasons for your departure, but I know that you'll find a way to be with us again. So I have faith in you. Charlie, I love you with all my heart, and so does the rest of us. So can you promise me one thing?

Stay safe. Wherever you are, doing whatever you're doing, just remember that. It's hard enough not being able to see you. I couldn't imagine a world without your beautiful smile or brilliant mechanic skills. What father could ever live without their daughter, anyway? Just remember to stay safe...and please, come home ASAP.

I love you, we all do.

 Dad, Mom, and Colton.

"I promise." I whispered softly.

I didn't even register the tears rolling down my cheeks until one hit the letter in my hand, turning the surface of the paper gray, and I sniffled, wiping the warm tears from my cheeks, before standing up from the table. I noticed they were all stared at me worriedly, and I gave them a small smile.

"Charlie, are you okay?" Jenna asked slowly.

I nodded, "Don't worry guys, I'm fine. I just...I just need to go to my room, see you guys later." 

And with that, I walked out of the food hall, down the long hallways and arrived at the civilian quarters. I unlocked my door, and went over to my drawer, setting the letter on top. I was so relieved that they were okay, and that they knew that I was okay. Feeling emotionally drained, I flopped back on to my bed, staring up at the blank ceiling. For the longest time I just sat there, staring up at the mundane ceiling, my vision un-focusing and re-focusing while my mind was in deep thought.

I kept telling myself that this was the right thing to do. I kept telling myself that I wasn't abandoning them, and this way they'd be safer. I kept telling myself that one day, when this mess would blow over I'd get to see them again. I'd get to hear my father's warm chuckles, and the cute pout on Colton's face when I always beat him on Call of Duty. I kept telling myself that one day I would be able to smell my mother's savory cooking.

I sighed, rolling on towards the other side of my bed. It was hard to just leave everything behind...my entire life. And if it was bad for me, I could only imagine it had to be ten times worst for them. My heart throbbed painfully in my chest, and I felt the edges of my vision blur again.

The sudden knock at my door startled me, and I jolted upright on the bed with a gasp.

"N-Now's not really a good time." I mumbled, internally cursing myself for stumbling over my words.