The Golden Twin

And now, for the moment you've more or less been waiting on!

Chapter Ten: The Golden Twin

___________________________________________________

(Charlie's POV)

Rain. I always liked listening to the soft pattering of the rain from my window as a kid. To me it was relaxing; peaceful and tranquil. I also loved the aftermath of rain; I would rush downstairs in my rain coat, slipping on my rain boots and going outside to stomp and splash around in the puddles. Then I would make several mud pies and leave them out on the porch to dry.

Sometimes, I still like to splash in the puddles, like right now, as I leaned against Sideswipe's passenger door, as we waited silently in the light and gentle rain. The grass was moist around me, emitting a squishing sound when I stepped on it, which brought a smile to my face. I took my hood off, letting my mess of dark blonde hair dampen, sitting down in the soggy grass and playing with the small, tiny blades.

All we could do was wait.

I could tell Sideswipe was nervous. He didn't say one word to me, and if I've learned anything on this road trip with him, it's that he doesn't like to shut up. He was definitely apprehensive. This was the meeting place where we would meet with his twin, shouldn't he be happy? Excited at least? 

Then again, what did I know about alien robot twins? Or maybe I'm reading him wrong entirely, maybe he's not thinking of his brother, maybe he's thinking about his home planet. Or maybe he's wondering about the Autobots, or how they'd react when he reunites with them again. He hasn't told me much about them, but from what I've heard so far, they seemed like good bots.

"Charlie." Sideswipe's voice drifted from the car.

"Yeah?" I asked, plucking out a blade of grass and rubbing it in between my fingers.

"What if he...do you think something happened?" He asked suddenly.

I froze, letting to blade go as I turned to the anxious Corvette. "Don't think about that, he's probably running late."

"But it's been an hour." Sideswipe said, in such a tone that it almost sounded whiny.

I sighed, "I don't know what to tell you. We can only hope for the best."

He didn't say another word, and we resumed in the peaceful silence we were once in. I played with another blade of grass, not caring at all that the cold, moist grass water was starting to sink into the bottom of my jeans, making my butt cold and wet. Our short conversation only told me that my first assumption was right, he was very nervous. 

Not nervous in meeting his twin again, but nervous that something happened to him. I guess I could relate. There's always an uneasy feeling of anxiety that settles at the pit of my stomach when I think about what might happen to my family, or how they're dealing with me not being there anymore. I bit my lip, already feeling the tears bubbling up in the back of my eyes, threatening to spill over if I didn't find a new subject to think about quickly. I blinked rapidly, trying to rid the tears when I heard an engine approaching, and from the deep revs, it sounded expensive.

The silver Corvette behind me jerked, as an excited sound escaped from Sideswipe before his engine revved too. Quickly, I got to my feet again, ignoring the numbness in my butt as I turned around to face him, a small smile on my face, "Is it him?"

"Yes!" He cheered.

My smiled widened,  then engine sounded like it was coming closer and closer. Immediately, Sideswipe transformed into his silver robot form and I took a few steps back. There was a wide smile on his face as he stared out beyond the trees that surrounded us. And before I could blink, the silver robot was gone, disappearing behind the trees as he began to call his twins' name. I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous either, and a lot curious.