22

Waking up in the hospital was depressing. It was dark, I was numb, my mouth was dry as fuck and I had no idea where my baby was.

I repeatedly clicked the nurse button.

A short blonde haired lady burst in.

" Mrs.King are you okay ?" She asked coming to my bedside.

" Huh ? Where is my son ? " I questioned confused.

" He's with your husband in the cafeteria ma'am "

" I'm not married ma'am. Could you take me to my son. " I sat up confused.

She smiled as she took my vitals.

" you've been in and out for a couple of days now." She chuckled. " doctor says you should be fine he just wants to make sure your internally fine. We're going to get you a CT scan to figure out why you had a seizure. Is there any possibility that you are pregnant ? "

I sighed . " ma'am I won't cooperate until my child is in front of me and I know that he is safe. Last thing I remember is him being knocked up side the head . You expect me to act fine ? "

" your son is fine , he suffered a minor concussion, got a lil blood from dad and he's good as new. They've been with you this whole week, they just went to grab a bite to eat .

" alright I'll cooperate when I see my son."

" oh well look what the cat dragged in." The nurse moved out of my line of sight just in time to see Tony and Tj walking in.

" Tj!"

I sat up taking my child from Tony's arm.

" thank you."

" for what ?" He sat next to me.

" not running off to Georgia with my baby."

" our baby." He corrected.

" Yeah our baby, I appreciate it more than you know."

" look I know you not in a good head space right now with the wreck and all but my offer still stands. New York was just a vacation for me, it's time to get back. I leave in three days and I hope you'll come with me." 

I sighed.

" I have a life here Tony, I'm my own woman, I have an apartment, a job."

" Man Akayla you know I'm not tryna hear all that I just want to get back home and start this co-parenting thing." He rubbed his hands together.

" I'm sorry Tony you gonna just have to make New York work out. I'm not going back home, it's a toxic place and your rush to get back to the " life" you're living is one of the reasons I was sent away in the first place." I crossed my arms and awaited his reply.

" Well you're grown now , what do you mean toxic place ? The A ain't toxic Akayla."  Scrunching his face up he became defensive.

" nothing positive happens for me , for US there."

" Well New York ain't looking to positive right now either."

" look if you want to stay in Atlanta and wait for your mother by all means be my guest but don't hit me up when you realize you want to actually START your life." I shrugged my shoulders.

I hit below the belt just a tad with that comment but he needed to understand that me and my child were not about to uproot our lives because he said so, we were not about to shake cause he said shake. He was stuck in a toxic place awaiting unrealistic dreams.

I hated to say it but it was OBVIOUS that his only reason to stay in Georgia besides his " work" was his mother.

He had an inch of hope left towards her return.

She abandoned him in a house at seven leaving him in the system. I doubt shes out looking for him.

" I'm not waiting on my mother." He clenched his jaw.

" I don't think you understand what I'm going through. I'm going to explain myself cause I'm trying to control my anger." He spoke after a moment of silence.

" 8 months. That's how long it took social services to come get me out of that house. I was seven years old. Not only that before my mother left she put me through hell. I begged her to take me to my father, she would lock me in bathrooms, closets ... all night. Sometimes I'd go days without food. One day she decided she ain't want me no more and she walked out. Since that day I have grinded, got it out the fucking mud. I do what I do because I came from nothing. So when you come from nothing all you want is something." He spoke calmly to avoid an emotional conversation.

" from foster home to foster home I never felt like anybody's family, until I met you, and like my mother and my father before that ... you left. That's neither here nor there though just need you to see why I act how I act. I don't want to be a deadbeat dad. I wanna be able to teach my child to LEARN from my child, I wanna be there when he says a full sentence. I don't wanna catch bits and pieces of his life through visits . Atlanta is where we made him and that's where he should grow."

He looked at me one last time before leaving the room.

I felt like shit once again, I'm such an asshole.

But I wanted to continue to live my independent life I had made for myself.

Some would say I'm a little too comfortable but I'm honestly in a more positive headspace despite my situation.

I had a huge decision to make and it was not helping my blood pressure.

I sniffled before pressing the nurses button to figure out when I would be able to get out of here.

—-
Not proof read , edited or nothing 😪