Griffin answered my knock and greeted me with a wide smile. "Hi, Reese. Where's Vincent?"

"He had some calls to make. I thought I'd hang out with you and maybe get some more clothes. Vincent called you about that, I assume."

Griffin swung the door open to let me in. "Yes. I was about to bring them over. What would you like to do? I have to take a nap in thirty minutes."

"Well, my parents will be here soon, so we can talk until then. I'd love to meet the gargoyles on your balcony."

Griffin beamed at me, and her usually pale skin glowed like a harvest moon. "Sure. We call them gollums but you can call them gargoyles if you'd like. That's the name most people use. Let me get your clothes real quick."

Griffin fetched my clothes, and this time I was fitted with a pair of wide-bottom linen pants and a button-down shirt that I folded to the elbows. Not surprisingly, both were black. I followed Griffin onto the balcony where three statues sat on the stone railing. One had been carved to resemble a winged monkey like the ones from Wizard of Oz, another had been made to look like a winged lion, and the third was a bird of prey, possibly an eagle. Griffin stepped up to the monkey first and stroked his wings affectionately.

"This one is George, named after Curious George. He's my favorite." She stepped up beside the bird next and patted his talons where they curved around the balcony pedestal. "This one is Sam, named after one of Jim Henson's muppets. Have you seen The Muppet Show? It's an ancient show, but it's brilliant."

I nodded. "I've seen bits and pieces on YouTube."

Satisfied with my response, Griffin walked to the lion and explained, "This one is Aslan. From The Chronicles of Narnia. Have you read those books?"

"Yes. They're brilliant even though they're ancient."

Griffin laughed. "You're going to fit right in with us. Most of the Valentinos know how to have a good time. Vincent could use a few pointers. I hope you'll be able to teach him."

"Vincent is a very intense guy. His moods are hard to predict," I said, hoping my honesty would pry some useful information out of the bubbly youth.

Griffin glanced uncertainly through the sliding glass door where Amelia stood in the kitchen preparing my breakfast. "I'm not supposed to talk about domus stuff, but I can confirm your suspicions about Vincent. He's monomaniacal. He doesn't do anything halfway, even when he's ignoring you."

I chuckled in spite of the sinking feeling in my stomach. "Monomaniacal. That's a term you don't hear every day."

"I looked it up. Vincent is in charge of teaching the mantras, and he makes me repeat them until I want to throttle him. Dad and Rizzo help with my flying skills, and Colin shows me how to fight. Mom and my grands teach me everything else. You haven't met my grands yet, but you will."

Amelia appeared at the door and slid it open to stare at Griffin, causing the girl to blush.

"Griffin, don't you have a nap to take?"

"I was just introducing Reese to the gollums."

"And that was the only thing you were discussing?"

Griffin appeared to curse herself inwardly as she answered, "No, I was telling her how everyone in the domus teaches different skills, but that's all. I'll see you later, Reese." Griffin hurried away, and Amelia watched the girl until she disappeared down a hall.

"I'm sorry if Griffin is overwhelming you. She can be a bit much."

"She's great. I like her."

"As do we all, but I know Vincent hasn't filled you in on everything, and I don't want her to surprise you with something."