twentytwo

"Shhh."

Isaac furrowed his eyebrows at me, "Why?"

"I think I hear someone." I giggled.

Both Isaac and I laid there in silence, trying to hear if anyone was actually outside the room. After a couple seconds of dead silence, Isaac spoke up.

"Well, whoever it was is gone now." Isaac chuckled at me.

I let my head fall down onto Isaac's bare chest as I laid on top of him. He had one arm behind his head as the hand from his other arm was running its fingers through my messy, brown hair.

My ear was pressed against the teen wolf's chest, listening to his steady heartbeat. We had been laying in this position for a little while now. The steadiness of Isaac's heartbeat was slowly lulling me to sleep.

"I'm just glad we made it out alive." Isaac mumbled.

My eyes fluttered open as I lifted my head up to look at the boy, "Me too."

The events of last night were some interesting ones. Dancing with Isaac and Jackson drove me crazy while almost getting attacked by the Kanima scared me to death.

"I'm also glad that you're here with me and not with Derek." he said, placing a small kiss on my forehead.

I raised my eyebrows at him, "Still jealous, aren't we?"

"Maybe a little?" he shrugged, "I just hate you being with him."

I adjusted my positioning on the bed so that I had a hand on either side of Isaac's torso, holding myself up.

"And what are you gonna do about it?" I smirked.

He bit his lip as he stared up at me, "Well, for starters, I need you to end things with Derek. Because if I'm gonna make you mine, you can't be anyone else's."

"I guess I could do that."

•••••

"What is that?"

Isaac bent down and ran his fingers over the symbol that was on the inside of Derek's chest of full moon supplies.

"It's a triskele." Boyd blurted.

Erica, Derek, Isaac, and I all looked over at him. I, for one, was surprised he knew that.

"Spirals mean different things," Boyd continued, "Past, Present, Future. Mother, Father, Child."

"Know what it means to me?" Derek raised his eyebrows at Boyd from his squatted position on the ground.

Boyd furrowed his eyebrows, "Alpha, Beta, Omega?"

"That's right," Derek said as he stood up, "Its a spiral. Reminds us that we can all rise to one or fall to another."

"Betas can become Alphas, but Alphas can also fall to Betas or even Omegas." I added.

Isaac spoke up, "Like Scott?"

"Scott's with us." Derek avoided his eye contact.

There was something he wasn't telling us.

Isaac looked around the room before planting his eyes on Derek, "Really? So where is he now?"

"He's looking for Jackson. Don't worry, he's not gonna have it easy tonight either." Derek bent down and started grabbing things from the chest, "None of us will. There's a price you pay for this kind of power."

"You get the ability to heal, but tonight you're going to want to kill anything you can find." I warned the betas as Derek handed Isaac something that looked like a chained belt.

Erica chuckled, "Good thing I had my period last week then."

All of the boys just kind of looked at her. I had to stifle my laugh at her comment.

"Well this one's for you." Derek smirked as he held up a head band with spikes in it.

He handed the Betas different pieces of equipment that reminded me of medieval torture devices. Isaac walked over to me with his method of restraint slung over his shoulder.

"Colli." he spoke.

I nodded, "Yeah?"

"I don't know how to say this... but don't be here tonight. I couldn't live with myself if I hurt you." he breathed out.

I caressed his cheek with my hand, "Don't worry, I won't be here."

"That didn't take much convincing." he chuckled.

I let out a laugh as well, "It's Lydia's birthday party tonight and you know I'm going."

"Right. I forgot you were friends with her."

I stood on my tip toes before pressing a quick kiss to Isaac's cheek. Then I spun on my heels and began making my way out of the basement of the warehouse.

"Collins!" I heard Derek yell.

I stopped at the bottom of the staircase and turned around, he came to a stop only a couple inches from me.

"I need your help tonight." he whispered.

He didn't want to let the Betas know he didn't feel confident enough to handle them alone.

I patted his chest, "Derek, you're an Alpha. I think you've got this handled. I promised Lydia I would go to her party anyways."

I began walking up the stairs when I remembered something. Turning back around, I called for Derek to come back over. When he did, I told him what I needed to. 

"Derek, I love you, but I can't do this anymore."

He furrowed his eyebrows, "Do what?"

"Me and you." I breathed out, "We can't be a thing anymore. We both know we weren't together because we loved each other like that. I was just a distraction to you and I think it was hurting us more than it was helping us."

He let out a shaky breath, turning his eyes to the ground. I could tell he was upset, but he knew I was right. He looked back up at me only to gesture for me to walk up the stairs. I did just that and he followed me. When we reached the top of the stairs, I turned around to face him.

"Why did you co-"

He cut me off by cupping my cheeks and softly kissing my lips. When he pulled away, I was shocked to say the least.

"I had to. Just one last time." he breathed out before heading back toward the stairs.

Right as I reached the exit to the warehouse, Derek called my name once again.

"Yeah?" I asked as I turned around.

He looked at me with his eyes full of kindness, something rarely seen in Derek Hale, "I'm happy for you and Isaac. You two will be good together."

I softly smile back at Derek, the one whom much of my life had been spent with.

"Thank you."