Tangent

Amber smiles like she's happy right to her soul, like there is no part of her that sadness dwells. She has no mannerisms that show damage of any kind; she's perfection right down to her micro-expressions. Paul watching her like she's the last girl alive, which was new to see him like this considering he didn't tend to notice girls.

They were inseparable the whole ride to Hilltop, I didn't like it. It wasn't an envy thing, I was just looking out for them I guess. I mean they haven't seen each other from the very beginning, this world has most likely changed them both. They weren't the people they used to be, both of them in love with someone no longer existing. It's tragic really.

I was so lost in my own thinking I hadn't realised the stop we had made outside the gates. It was almost nightfall, there would never be enough time to get back to Alexandria today so I guess me and Daryl would be spending the night.

The bike halted once we were inside, I unattached my arms from around Daryl's torso getting off. From the corner of my eye I could see Paul approaching me, it was so strange how only an hour ago I was hugging him so tightly like I'd never see him again, and now anger boiled within me so very hard to ignore.

"You okay?" He asks simply.

"I'm fine." I grit my teeth, not looking his way. I wasn't mad at Paul and I wasn't mad at Amber, I was mad because I was angry and I had no explanation.

"Can we talk later after I show Amber around and let her meet the people?"

I turn my head to see him, his face crossed with the same damn look of pity I've been receiving from everyone I see. I don't know why anyone cared anymore, I was a lost cause and they don't even know it. I'm sick of being the victim.

Without replying I walk away, finding it better to avoid wherever that was going. And maybe when I felt like it, when I was ready I'd share what I did. If they were not lucky enough to receive this... Well, they'd be shown. My anger or whatever I felt was not something I had control over anymore. It was merely something that was a part of me, now consuming me.

"Dylan." I hear a feminine voice say as they approach me, the sound of it no stranger to me.

She had attacked me into her warm embrace, which to be fair I wasn't in the best of moods for but I was glad to see her. Behind her bundle of short brown hair, I noticed Sasha standing there. Sasha wasn't one for hugs and so she smiled and nodded toward me in which I returned the gesture.

"How are you?" I question Maggie, slipping out of her hug so I could see her features.

"... I'll be okay." She pauses before grabbing my hand and swiping her thumb over the skin there softy. "Come on I wanna show you something."

She leads me over to tall bush-covered area beside the Museum. There was a gap between two of the bushes where I squeezed my way through, I dusted myself off looking at what was in front of me.

I stepped forward taking a look at the two graves, crosses on each one. The girl I was would have sunk to her knees and cried until she couldn't feel a thing, but I literally could not feel a thing. No pain, no grief, no quilt nothing just the icy numbness I've felt for about a week now.

I was lucky to be here at all. With the way I was I would not last a day out by myself, the only reason I was alive is because I was always depending on someone. I had people to protect me like Daryl, my dad or Maggie. No matter how many times I convinced myself I didn't want their help I needed it, they saw that and I was just too diluted to notice.

Daryl came and stood beside me staring at the graves below him, and I nodded to him and Maggie before leaving. I didn't want to be there. I decide I wanted to sit myself for awhile and be one with my thoughts, I wasn't ready to around others yet, I was far too agitated and restless.