Chapter 14

I sit on the couch with my sister, munching on some chips.

It's Friday now.

Niall is at home because he's stayed here for the past week and his dad wanted him home. Well... that, and Niall said that Luke is coming here tomorrow morning.

"Hey Jordan?" Audry says.

"Yeah?" I reply.

"Will you go get me a glass of water?"

"Sure," I agree.

She's currently like half broken still so it's kind of my job to do stuff like this for her.

I get up and walk to the kitchen and retrieve a glass. Once I fill the glass with cold water from the fridge, I make my way back into the living room.

"Here you go," I hand her the glass.

"Thanks Jordy." She takes the water and takes a small sip before setting it on the coffee table in front of her.

I go back to my seat and sit down.

"Can I change the channel? This movie is boring," I ask Audry.

"Sure. We should watch Lilo and Stitch on Netflix," she suggests.

"I love that movie."

She giggles. "I know. I do too."

I change from the movie that had been on to Lilo and Stitch.

When we're about 15 minutes into the movie, Audry turns to me with a questioning look on her face.

"What time did dad leave?" She questions.

I check the time on my phone. It's now 6:23.

"About an hour ago, why?"

"He said he was just going to the store to get bread and milk right?"

"Yeah..." I say.

That is odd. It shouldn't take this much time to drive to Walmart, pick up a few things, and drive back.

"He should be back by now," she speaks my thoughts.

"Yeah... yeah he should. I'll call him and see."

Audry nods slowly.

I dial my father's number and click the 'call' button.

After a few rings, a voice that's not my father's answers.

"Hello?"

"Uh... hi? Is my dad there?" I ask into the phone.

"It's his daughter," I hear a muffled voice say, obviously not wanting me to hear.

"Well... something happened and I would much rather tell you in person. This is the head of the police department speaking by the way. What's your home address?"

I reluctantly tell him my address.

"Okay, thank you. Tell your mother that we're coming and have news about your father," he instructs.

Before I have the chance to tell him about my mother, the line goes dead.

"Jordy? Where is he?" My sister's voice comes out weak.

"I-I don't know. The man on the phone said something happened to him."

Audry lets a small tear slip from her eye. I pull her against me in a light hug, not wanting to make her injuries worse.

We sit in the position, holding each other for a good 5 minutes until we hear the doorbell ring.

"That must be the man," I tell my sister.