Chapter 3

I let out a deep sigh then unlock my phone. Rebecca unfolds the note and begins to read the number out as I type it in. I press the speaker button then hit 'call.'

I take a few deep breaths to calm my nerves. It only takes two rings for Niall to answer.

"Hello?" He answers, his Irish accent easy to identify through the speaker.

"Hi.. It's uh.. Jordan.." I say really slowly.

"Oh. Hey."

"Why did you want me to call you?" I question him.

He chuckles before replying. "Take me off speaker and I'll tell you."

Rebecca mouths the words, "How does he know that it's on speaker?"

"I don't know," I mouth back.

"You aren't on speaker," I say, not wanting him to talk to me privately. He lets out an incredulous sigh.

"I'm not an idiot, Jordan. I can tell if I'm on speaker or not, and I definitely am."

I sigh in defeat. "Fine," I press the speaker button again to turn it off. I press the phone to my ear before talking again. "There, happy?"

"Not really. Leave the room. Go to where whoever you're with isn't listening."

"How do you know if I'm alone or not?" I ask, starting to worry what it is that he's going to tell me that's so secretive that he's making me do this.

"Like I said, I'm not an idiot. You had it on speaker so someone else could hear our conversation."

"Okay, fine."

I mouth to Rebecca what he said and go out on her porch that's connected to her room.

"There. I'm outside, alone, and you're not on speaker, happy?"

"Not quite, that Cody kid is a bitch."

"So you called me to rant about Cody?" I can tell he isn't going to get to his point soon.

"No.." He pauses. "I wanted to like, become friends with you or something."

I can tell by his tone that he's lying.

"You know I'm not an idiot either. I can tell when people lie to me."

I have been talking to him for less than 5 minutes and he's already frustrating me.

"Damn." I hear him whisper.

"You shouldn't cuss," I tell him.

"It's my mouth and I can do what I want with it." I can tell by his tone that he's not just talking about what he says.

I pretend that I don't get what he's hinting at. "So are you gonna tell me why you wanted me to call you or not?"

"Somebody is a bit pushy. But yes, I will tell you."

"Okay, then go on."

"I want you to go on a date with me, like to the movies or something," He says with a bit too much confidence.

"Heck no."

"Huh?" I can tell he's taken aback by my responce.

"I said no."

"Why?" He obviously isn't used to getting turned down.

I struggle to think of a better responce than pointing out that he is already being a cocky douche.

"Because I hardly know you," I finally say, hoping that he's not actually going to try and put the effort into getting to know me.

"Well then how about we get to know eachother?" I can almost picture the sideways grin on his face.