t h i r t y

"So what are we going to do?"

I sit silently in front of an academic advisor. She clasps her hands together over the desk. She pulled up my grades from last semester on the computer screen.

I twiddle my fingers, looking like a complete idiot.

"You never submitted anything. You never wrote any of your finals. So, you failed the winter semester. Before you make any decisions, do you want to tell what exactly happened? Because your first year, you were acing all of your courses."

She scrolls up on my transcript.

"I got distracted," I answer pathetically. She stares at me, waiting for some elaboration. I shake my head and shrug. "Some trouble. Stuff."

"As a result, you only have two options," she explains, "You can register for upcoming summer courses. It'll be intensive courses, but you'll be under probation. If you do well, then the department might be able to reintegrate you back into your program. Or maybe if you find college too stressful—and it happens—you could take a break, and apply next year when you're more ready."

I nod my head, understanding how bad I messed up.

"Um, I'll do intensive courses."

"Alright. Go online and check for the courses that are being offered in the summer."

I keep nodding.

♠♠♠

"What am I supposed to tell my parent?" I complain.

Mara sips her Starbucks.

"Just don't," she advises.

"The whole reason why I'm even here is because I promised them I would do well in school. And now, I've done the opposite."

"We hate school. What can we do?"

"You're not helping."

"Come on! Who needs a career, when you have Judah buying you everything and taking you around the freaking world?"

I scoff, "Judah's gone."

Besides, it isn't all flowers and rainbows. His job compels him to not only do the worst, but to leave me lonely. I try to fool myself into thinking he's on a simple business trip, but past memories slap me back into reality. Stop it, Rosalie. Judah is a gang leader.

Mara gasps, "Where'd he go?"

"He never tells me," I sigh, "He hasn't texted or called in two weeks."

"Aw!" she squeals.

I frown, "What?"

"You miss him. It's written all over your face!"

"Shut up," I groan.

"Poor Ro," she notes.

"Yeah," I sigh, "Poor me."

Mara and I head to the movie theatres and watch something to help me get my mind off my worries. I feel helpless and annoyed with myself. I can't remember what my life was like before Judah. Now, I can't seem to breathe without him.

♠♠♠

We separate ways, once Mara reaches her dorm. I walk across the street and head towards Judah's house. My mind remembers the days he'd to follow me up the hill, and when he'd randomly pick me up and take me places, and the kisses we shared in between. 5 months. It's been 5 months since we've locked eyes for the first time. Though, it feels like a lifetime.