t w e n t y

♠♠♠

Downstairs, I discover a small internet café. I jump on a computer and decide to email Mara. My best friend has probably lost all sense since I've disappeared. I write to her that I'm fine and that I'm safe with Judah.

I don't know how much of it she'll believe, but at least she'll see that I'm alive.

I begin to wonder when Judah will decide to bring me back home. With him, nothing is certain. Jumping from hotel to the next is tiresome.

I lift to my feet and head towards the elevator. I press the top floor button and wait for time to elapse. A pair of men in business wear hop onto the elevator. They speak in hush tones, yet I hear something that catches my attention.

"Quest is supposed to sign with Hudson this evening."

"Do you really think they'll sign?" the other asks.

"Billions of dollars—why would they refuse?"

"Because the Brag is part of it now, I guess. Maybe they don't want to taint their image."

"Quest needs the business deal to stay on top, or else they'll be undercut."

The other man sighs, "Let's hope it's like that."

"Hudson's son is supposed to take over the company, I heard."

"Oh, that boxer kid?" the man shrugs in disbelief, "He's not going to do it."

"We'll have to wait and see. Frankly, I don't want a bunch of thugs running the game."

"Do you think they'll announce it next month? At the gala?"

"Perhaps," he answers. Then he lowers his voice even more, "If the Mafia stays quiet before then."

The door rings and opens the door for them to exit. I didn't get everything. It looks like a lot of businesses are involved in this world of gang takeover. I press for the doors to close quickly.

If the Mafia stays quiet?

♠♠♠

"Delivery?"

I stare at the delivery guy and take the wide white box. He tips his hat and then leaves. I set the box on the bed and open it. I pull the tissue wrapping paper out of the way, and find a small white card with a black spade in its middle. I turn it open and read Judah's handwriting.

Be next to me tonight.

My cheeks blush, so I take a deep breath. I run my hand over the black satin fabric, before pulling out a maxi dress. I mentally criticize Judah's taste, as I stare at the plunging V-neck. I then dig out the high heels. Pearl jewellery and lacy lingerie come with it.

I shower and get dressed, while listening to the news in the background. I stand in front of the mirror and brush my fingers through my hair.

What's going to happen tonight? Another disastrous masquerade party? Another gang ambush? It gets harder and harder to feel good in this form fitting dress. But I slip it on anyway.

I pause, after putting on my pearl earrings. A thought crosses my mind that makes me question everything. When did I fall in love with him?

The door then opens. I twist around, and my eyes meet Judah's. I place my hand over my beating heart. He's dressed in a barely buttoned dress shirt with the sleeves slightly rolled up and matching black pants. I try to look less startled, but nothing works. For some reason, I'm afraid he might read my mind.