5

"Hey, Ty?" Rose's finger continued to tap her phone, scrolling down the lengthy article on her screen.

"Mhm?" I allowed the pen in my hands to rest lightly on the slim crevice of my opened journal. I was quite reserved when it came to what was inside of it, but knowing that Rose had seen nearly half of it already, a page of drawings and music lyrics wouldn't hurt to be left vulnerable.

"I'm reading that a good way to have your mind kept occupied on the right things is to build something. Now, I know that sounds quite absurd and slightly intimidating but doesn't it also sound somewhat fun? It could be nice to have other alternatives to a relaxed mind than just your journal, you know?" Her eyes were bright with eagerness and hope.

She turned her silver iPhone towards me and began showing me quick areas of the article.

I was intrigued to say the less, "That does sound fun. Could we all build something together?"

"Of course, my cute little boy," Rose smirked at me, pinching my cheeks and kissing my lips, "It doesn't have to be something crazy, but it could be if you really want it to. I've sort of already talked to Josh and Ryan about this and they're here with us every step of the way."

"I do have something in mind."

***

"Rose let's go, the hardware store is gonna close by the time you're finished and it's only one o'clock," Ryan screamed from downstairs as Rose rushed to finish her makeup. A time where Ryan wasn't raising her voice? Hah. Never.

"I'm done, I'm done!" She sighed, putting down the metallic tube of mascara in her hands and grabbing her purse that sat perched in the corner of our bedroom.

"Don't forget your phone, babe," I reminded, just as she began heading for the stairs. Rose was just forgetful like that. But, I was here so that didn't really matter anymore, of course.

"Oh shit, oops," She flushed in embarrassment as I threw the device over to her, following her body down the stairs and going to meet the others outside.

I locked the door behind us and later sat closely beside Rose, as the weather was slowly beginning to cool here in our new city, Indiana. We moved to gain a fresh start, seeing as there were still so many things to hold on to in Ohio. Things that were reasonable to let go of undoubtedly.

Why Indiana? To start, Rose, Josh and I had family who lived here. It's also a city not too far from Ohio, but far enough where we understood that things were definitely different. If we ever wanted to go back and visit Ohio it'd only be about a four hour road trip, which was sensible to us all.

It was calming here. Very subtle and surely refreshing. Josh was incredibly fond of it, seeing as he could go and visit his favourite uncle any time he needed a laugh.

Rose nudged my elbow gently, seeing as I had caught myself up in another one of my trances, "We're here, friend," She smirked over at me, nearly pushing me out of the car.

"Whoa, what's the rush, sunshine?" I laughed as she nearly tripped on her way out of the vehicle.

"I'm so excited for you, Ty. I really have high hopes for this going well. It's supposed to make you happy, you know?" Her arm looped into mine. My nose was tickled with her hair as a gust of wind almost blew Rose off her feet.

"Rose, I'm already happy," I made sure to state as we had gotten inside of the hardware store. The smell of paint and freshly cut wood hit me intensely.

"- Happier then," Rose re-worded.

"Can I help you guys with something today?" A young woman with short, strawberry-blonde hair approached us. She had some working gloves on and wore what looked to be a bright orange apron, carrying tools that I hadn't a clue of what their names nor purposes were.

"Uh yes, actually. We could use some recommendations," Josh stepped in to answer, "We're going to build something, well, that's pretty vague. Do you know exactly what you have in mind, Ty?"

Everyone peered over at me, and Rose squeezed my hand tightly in realization that I was beginning to shake with the newly formed pressure.

"Well, when I was younger, we had a treehouse in my backyard. It wasn't anything special or unique whatsoever, but it still meant a lot. I was thinking we could recreate it," I mentally cursed myself for the amount of times I'd stumbled in my sentence. Something about having everyone pay attention to me all at the same time made me anxious.

"Hah. A treehouse? Of all things, and that is what you pick? Nice one, moron."

Of course he'd come into my mind right at this very moment. I felt his presence behind me, burning a hole of hatred into my back with his glowing eyes.

"That sounds lovely," The lady smiled, allowing me to regain some confidence. "I can assure you, though, it'll be quite a difficult task to carry out if you're a beginner, no matter how large or small you choose the house to be."

I nodded understandingly, "My family and I built ours. I was young and none of us had experience, but we managed. I think we'll be okay."

"Perfect, I'll show you everything you'll need. Follow me this way."

***

"Josh, you've dropped, like, three pieces of wood behind you!" Ryan chuckled, "Are you sure you don't need any help, big boy?"

"Nope, I will retrieve those pieces in a minute but, while we're here can someone please open the trunk," He breathily pleaded.

"I've got it," I offered, placing a box of nails and some tools under his arm to allow a free hand. He lifted the trunk door open.

"That lady was right, we're gonna have to make two trips to fit all of these materials in the car. There's still a bunch of our wood waiting in the store," Rose pointed out as all of our hands were now clear.

Without realization, we'd all taken a moment to stare at the trunk, "Think we can pull this off?" Ryan questioned, specifically towards me. My shoulders shrugged nonchalantly, "We'll never know 'till we try."

"Let's hurry and find out then," Rose closed the lid of the trunk completely exhilarated.

It would be just like a flashback of old times if we could manage this, and I was interested to see what the future held.