9

Her hands and feet were cold. Freezing, actually.

"Numb," She'd told me they felt.

The cold air was consistent, and uncomfortable, further leading me to grasp Rose's fingers, and draw circles on her palm with my thumb.

I watched intently as her body motioned towards me, it's last resort for restoring warmth. I couldn't do this.

"You have to," he spoke up, aggression in his tone.

"Rose," I stuttered out hopelessly, already feeling the muscles in my throat tighten as her hazel eyes, that were once watching endless cars roam by on the neighbourhood road, met mine.

After almost eight years...

"Let's talk for a little bit."

The glider bench beneath us rocked casually under her feet, as they pushed onto and then off of the cement to gain some momentum.

"Are you finally going to tell me what happened outside in the backyard yesterday?" Her voice muffled out into my chest.

I gulped in worry, "It has something to do with that..." I could feel her tense under me.

Rose's soft hair met my fingers as they combed through it, "Um, let's just talk about us."

This time her body turned to face me entirely, and I was unprepared by the anxious look on her face, "What about us, Ty?"

This was the moment I hadn't practiced in my head to the absolute core.

"Do it, Tyler. You have to."

There he was again.

"Do you ever wonder what it would be like if you didn't waste so much time on me?"

What the fuck, Tyler? Why did I just say that? Stupid...stupid.

"I don't understand, Tyler," Rose went to reach out for my hand, but I left her grasp and instead, buried my head into my hands.

"Babe, talk to me. What are you trying to say?"

I shook my head and stomped my feet onto the floor as I stood up haphazardly, startling Rose. "I-I don't -"

"Say it Tyler!"

"I can't be with you any longer."

Regret filled me entirely. The life that was in her had disappeared in that split moment. Her mouth opened slightly in shock, and she began shaking her head. Immediately after, Rose began to tear up, the cuffs on her sweater covering her face as she sniffled, "Tyler...how long have you been feeling like this?"

"Tell her a year."

"A year," I repeated, a feeling I could not explain erupting in my stomach as he stood behind her, mocking Rose and rolling his red eyes. The lump in my throat grew larger as I heard her voice crack at my words, her short tears now becoming endless sobs.

"Don't you dare even cry, Tyler."

I covered my face with my sleeve in order to hide it from him, not wanting to show him my developing tears.

"I've never wasted my time on you, ever, Ty. I don't - I just can't believe where this is all coming from. You've never shown me any signs of discomfort, or of having you completely fallen out of love with me. I-I -" Rose stopped to move the hair away from her face, and to gasp a few breaths in.