Chapter 5

I used my signature shave and a haircut knock on Mr. Pearlman's door as I called out, "Be ready to hit the pavement in fifteen!"

This was our Saturday ritual, something I insisted on after Mr. Pearlman's heart attack. His doctor recommended he get twenty minutes of moderate exercise every day, which was a laughable goal. The best I could hope for was getting him outside once a week for a leisurely stroll.

Still feeling bloated from the tuna sub I indulged in for lunch, I dropped my camera bag on the couch and headed for my bedroom to change. Knowing this wouldn't be a strenuous activity, I opted for yoga pants and a tee, choosing a slightly disturbing Asking Alexandria shirt I'd bought from an online store. I loved wearing shit like that whenever I hung out with Mr. Pearlman. He always had something to say about the youth of today and how so many of us were on a fast track to hell. He excused me, of course. Saving his life apparently gave me a pardon from eternal damnation.

The clouds had decided to move in and block the sun, keeping the temperature hovering in the fifties during our walk. This was perfectly fine for me, but Mr. Pearlman weighed about ninety pounds, and he remained hunched under his wool sweater as we plodded down the sidewalk. He entertained me with stories I'd already heard, centered around his adventures as an Air Force pilot during the Korean War. It never bothered me that our conversations usually focused on his past. I didn't have much of a relationship with my grandparents, given that I only had one, and Grandpa Kentwell lived in Germany and spoke very little English.

"What's on the agenda for your Saturday evening, Reese?" Mr. Pearlman's question came out of the blue, forcing me to redirect my brain from only half listening to actual participation.

"I'll probably stay in and watch a movie. Last night provided enough excitement to justify a low-key weekend." 

"Oh? What did you do last night?" He kept his attention on his feet as he carefully detoured around a vine that had grown across the sidewalk.

"I met some friends at a club. But things got a little weird, so I ended up leaving early." I wasn't inclined to tell Mr. Pearlman about my sordid life as a reckless youth. He could revoke my pardon. But I had piqued his interest, and he offered an inquiring gaze as he glanced up to search my face.

"What made it weird?"

"Oh, well... These brothers couldn't control their testosterone and made jerks of themselves in front of me and my friends. Nothing too out of the ordinary, really."

We reached the end of the street and stopped to turn around when I recognized a stalky blonde watching us from the other side of the road. He quickly pretended to be interested in his cellphone, but I didn't need to see his face to peg him as the guy who had been talking to Vincent and Amelia outside Saint Thomas Church. How many people wore turquoise Chuck Taylors? What the hell was he doing in my neighborhood? Had he followed me home? And, more importantly, had Vincent asked him to check up on me to see if I was spending time with Colin? 

Not cool.

During our walk back, I saw no trace of blondie, but my annoyance meter had been triggered. When Mr. Pearlman and I reached the third floor landing, there was a brown paper package sitting in front of his door. As long as I'd known him, my antisocial neighbor had never received a delivery, but I still had to ask.

"Did you order something from Amazon, Mr. Pearlman?" 

"What is Amazon?" He leaned over the package and read the label. "It's addressed to you, Reese."

Glancing over his shoulder, I confirmed that the label did have my name on it, hand written with no return address. The package appeared to have been delivered by someone who was not employed by a postal service.