14: Separated

Beginne am Anfang

“Is there something wrong, Mr. Springer?” the teacher, Mr. Nile Dok, said. He was in front of you and Connie, raising an eyebrow.

“N-nothing, sir…” Connie said with his usual enthusiastic voice, removing his hand on your shoulder and scratching the back of his head. “It was just part of the yell we were supposed to have… right, [name]?”

“Is that true, Ms. [last name]?” Mr. Dok asked, looking at you skeptically.

You looked around. Your members looked down, preventing any eye contact from the teacher. The whole class still continued to look, while some didn’t care enough and just went out to their own personal businesses. There was this awkward man with black hair who looked at you with cold eyes.

You were entwined by his stare, but eventually, you looked away and looked back to Mr. Dok. You were lost for words.

“Well?” he said, eyeing you, much keener than usual. You gulped.

“Y-yes sir!” you said, accidentally placing your right hand balled into a fist on your chest, and your left arm at the back.

“I may be a former military man, Ms. [last name], but I do not need such formalities,” he remarked.

“N-no, sir…” you stuttered. “I-it was part of the drill…”

He kept looking at you, making Connie and the rest of your groupmates a bit tense. “I see…” he finally said, making the rest of your members sigh with relief.

“But please, keep your noises into a minimum,” he stated and slowly went away. The entire class stopped glaring and went back to their respective works.

That time, you were formed into groups and to discuss something about the topic. You didn’t listen to most of it. You were on your own field of imagination, making a series of ifs and imagining a series of moments that would have happened. The next thing you knew, you were team leader, and that discussion is only a few minutes’ time.

Yet, you didn’t care. The possibility of you failing and being embarrassed in front of the whole class didn’t get much into your nerves. You gave the shoulder of responsibility of being a leader to Connie, who was in that moment, panicking to the point that he might be hyperventilating. You thought that things like this would only pass for the next hour, with the class basically forgetting about it a few minutes after they went out of their classrooms.

As much as you would want to get out of such a spell, you couldn’t. All that you could do was simply rest your chin on your hands while listlessly looking out the window.

You saw when Levi looked at you back then. He was in another group, and you noticed that his groupmates were seated a bit farther away than it should be. He was releasing some awkward aura. You couldn’t point out what emotion could it be, but you knew the reason. You broke up with him.

That night, when you entered the office, a few teachers were there. Mister Smith was one of them. He saw you the moment you entered and simply told you to come near his table, letting you take a seat to one of the teacher’s chair beside him.

There were a few moments of silence between the both of you. You couldn’t look at him in the face for unknown reasons so you only either looked down or at your surroundings. He sighed, making you look down when you saw one of the teachers taking their leave.

“I see…” he finally said. “I was right.”

You looked up. He placed his arms on the armrest. He eyed on you, which made you sit up straight.