9| tents

Danis POV:

I heard the whistle blow, that was my cue to give someone else a chance to practice. On the weekends when most people are too busy sleeping, I like to wake up early and practice volleyball.

"That last spike looked great" I looked over to see whoever was speaking. "Oh thanks Mr. tanner. What are you doing here?" I asked my physics teacher. It was very unusual seeing him outside of class, especially at a... public gym. "You are welcome Danielle. You remember the homework that's due on Tuesday?" He asks me while raising his eye brow. I internally roll my eyes at him. "Yes Mr. tanner I remember." Just on cue, my phone started ringing. It was Shawn.

Shawns POV:

"You just saved my life Mendes" I hear Dani on the other line. I laughed a little

"oh did I? How so?" I asked her.

"Mr. tanner is at the gym! And he was lecturing me about homework gosh it's the weekend! Leave me aloneeee" she ranted, obviously aggravated. I simply just laughed at her.

"Oh dani - me and the fam are going to Subtle Creek and mom asked if you wanted to join us? We'll be back on Sunday night"  she better come or it will basically be boring.

"Yeah! When are we leaving" she practically yells.

"Gosh your going to burst my eardrums" I said

"Sorry, what time are we leaving then?" She says in a British accent.

"10 am be ready" I replied then immediately hung up.

°°°

"SHAWN! Did you grab the camping chairs?" My mom yelled. shoot. I should probably grab those.

"Yeah I'm getting them!" I called quietly while running over to the garage. We'd need 5 chairs unless my cousin Tatiana decides she wants to come. "IS TATIANA COMING?!" I yelled to my mom. I heard her say that sounded like 'no, she has frog cats'. I laughed to myself, wondering what she had actually said. I grabbed 5 chairs and somehow fit them into the trunk of our black SUV. I turned and picked up the package of plastic water bottles, when suddenly Dani pops out of nowhere. I jump and almost dropped the water bottles.

"DANI DON'T DO THAT" I shouted, readjusting my grip on the plastic and putting it in the car.

"Couldn't help myself, you were in such a vulnerable position" she shrugged. I reached and grabbed the black duffel back from her hands and stuffed in in the car with the rest of the stuff. I turned around and Dani was gone, assuming she walked into the house to help my mom, I shut the car door and walked inside.

°°°

I woke up to Aaliyah panicking because she needed to use the bathroom. I sit up, stretching out from my long nap. I look over and see Dani asleep, leaning against the car window. I pulled out my phone and took a quick picture of her and posted it on Instagram captioning it "Road trip with the fam"

"We are stopping at a gas station, so if you need to use the toilet, go now" my mom said.

"FINALLY!" Aaliyah sighed, already unbuckling herself from her seat. We'd been in the car for about 3 hours, it usually only takes 2 hours to get there but there was heavy traffic today. As we pulled into the parking lot Aaliyah started pounding on the back of my seat, mumbling something in audible. I chuckled.

As soon as we parked Aaliyah almost lost it, yelling at me to get out of the car faster. "Chill Aaliyah, im going" i said trying to calm her nerves.

The smell of the quaint gas station was anything but pleasant.  I quickly switched from breathing through my nose to breathing through my mouth. It smelled like old people mixed with smelly diapers. I walked over to the candy isle and picked out some stuff for the rest of the drive. I doubt my mom would care if I got myself an aloe water. I made my way to the back of the store where the fridges were, when a figure appeared around a corner. I didn't have enough time to react, so our bodies collided.