Her Soul

*This story is not a continuation of the last three (four?) parts

She knew he loved her. The way he looked at her and the way she looked at him, the way he mumbled up his words and the way she made things super awkward. She started noticing him in a different way when she turned twenty five, definitely. He was just so, handsome. The way his silk, curly black hair was sometimes knotted into a man bun, the way he told stories about his accomplishments. The way he looked at her when she said something, like it was the most valuable piece of information on the planet.

The scary thing for Maui was, he loved her back. An immortal loving a mortal wasn't suppose to happen. Yet it did, and it took him a while. When she turned thirty, he realized her life was shorter than his, and he couldn't get past the thought of her dying and him never knowing what it would be like to love such a strong woman such as Moana.

He confessed his love straight forward, no fancy things, no big gestures, just himself and his love to offer. She nearly cried and embraced him, knowing she wouldn't of ever confessed hers, thinking he would pass it off as a joke. Ridiculous, even. But no, this was real. Moana and Maui, two strong people together, a relationship that could break or make them.

They didn't get married until she was thirty two, Moana proposing, knowing how she was. The wedding was grand, yet they just focused on each other. This was real, they were together. She didn't want to have children, and he was fine with just being her, until she turned thirty five. She was scared, but they knew they could get through it.

They had a son and named him Anga, which means shell, because he was a pinpoint in their lives, just has the pink shell on the beach had been for Moana.

Anga grew like spring into fall, changing and becoming a man. Moana and Maui couldn't have been prouder, and they watched as he began to become leader, become chief.

With Anga growing, Maui saw Moana age, too. Her silky brown hair showed some grey strands, and Maui just brushed it off as stress. She could still dance at the under toe, she could still play with the village children. But something had left her, that spark for adventure. Maui felt so weak for not being able to keep her ageless, like the him. But that was not a gift, you had to earn it.

Years went by and Moana retired. Anga became chief and ruled with grace and stability just like his mother before him. Maui couldn't have been more proud of his son, yet a growing concern for Moana was building inside him. He could see it in her face, her hair was all gray now. She couldn't play with the children, and dancing at the under toe became a difficult task, even just to walk down there and back. Maui usually carried her down. He didn't mind, she was getting lighter and lighter.

She finally turned seventy  and was as fragile as glass. Her health was draining, and Anga and Maui both knew what was going to happen. Moana was dying. One night Maui snuck into the healing tent, wanting to watch her sleep. It sounded creepy, yet he needed to do it. He needed to watch her, soak up these moments before they where gone.

She woke up an hour or two after midnight.

"I didn't mean to wake you," Maui whispered. Moana smiled.

"It's okay," her raspy voice responded. "It gets lonely." A tear rolled down Maui's cheek, and Moana reached her hand up to touch his cheek.

"I'm so sorry," she mumbled. Maui took her wrinkly hand in his still strong one.

"Don't apologize, Moana," Maui said, "I should be apologizing, I should save you."

"From what?" Moana asked, sass still in her old voice, "Death? Maui, you know I love you, but not even a demigod could save someone from this." Moana coughed and laid her head down.

"Besides," she added, "I'll only be a whisper in time for you. You'll forget my name in a hundred years." A tear dropped down Moana's cheek.

"Don't say that," Maui said, his voice rising, "Don't you ever say that." Moana weakly smiled and closed her eyes. Maui kissed her lightly on the forehead and left the hut. He went down to the reef and cried. Yes, the all powerful demigod cried. He sobbed, wanting Moana to stay with him.

Moana died two weeks later. They had a big funeral, the whole island morning, even the ocean seemed to miss the girl who loved the sea. Maui tried to stay in Motonui, yet everything reminded him of Moana. From the designs on the huts to the coconuts, a memory that tore him apart would come up. He couldn't stay.

He told Anga this. Anga cried, saying he couldn't lose Maui too. He couldn't lose his Dad, his greatest influence.

"You're not going to lose me," Maui said, a tear rolling down his face, "I'll always visit. I just can't stay." Anga tried to understand, yet his heart hurt more than ever imaginable. Maui flied away one night, when the village was sleeping. Everyone was shocked the next day, yet Anga new his fathers intentions and didn't go looking for him like the people suggested.

He had no where else to go but his island of rocks. He'd go visit other islands and help them, and of course he'd visit his son once a week or so. But every night he returned to the cave.

He felt empty inside, and each night he was reminded of her by his mini Maui hugging the tattoo of mini Moana. Life wasn't the same without her.

One day he was carving a new sculpture in his cave when he heard a familiar voice .

"Maui, demigod of the wind and sea," he heard it call. Maui's head snapped back. It was Moana, he could recognize it anywhere. Or he could just be going crazy. He slowly stepped out of the cave and saw something he never thought he'd see.

Moana. Only she was looked like she was thirty again, and a bit transparent and a very blue tint with blue particles. She was, well, ghostlike. He went out to touch her cheek, sure his hand would run through air. Yet it touched a solid object, skin. Maui was shocked.

"You're, you're back," Maui said, unable to hide the shakiness in his voice.

"Who said I left?" The ghost like Moana stared. Behind her was her boat, only it was ghostlike as well. Moana motioned toward it with her oar, "Care to join me?" Maui nodded and stepped onto the ship.

Moana's spirit went up and kissed Maui lightly on the cheek. Maui smiled. It felt good to have her back.

And the two went. The demigod Maui and Moana's spirit, helping villagers and chasing away monsters. Moana and Maui where practically glued together. And there they stay, watching their descendants from afar, sometimes visiting.

But no matter what, they're always together.