Hopes and Dreams

Dean Winchester x Reader

Synopsis: Imagine overhearing the fact that you're the only reason Dean ever considers leaving the job.

Hunting was tough. More than tough, and there had been many times you had considered leaving it behind, trying to make a normal life for yourself. It had never happened, and now here you were, 15 years into hunting and you no longer really saw a way out.

It wasn't that you minded so much anymore. Hunting had brought you a family, and you wouldn't consider leaving them for anything. It had brought you a home, something you had never thought you would have again. Most of all it had brought you Dean, your boyfriend.

The two of you had been dating for almost five years now, never pushing it anything past that. It was useless in a hunter's life to think about things like marriage and children. Some days, especially after a hard hunt that thought made you sad, and you ended up drowning your sorrows with a bottle of whiskey. Dean always seemed to recognize when you were in those moods, giving you the comfort you needed without pushing for an explanation.

Lately however, that mood had seemed to hit you more and more, leaving you grumpy and out of sorts. Dean tried to bring you out of it, even finding another hunt for you to go on. So, here you were in some National Forest, in the middle of nowhere, trying to hunt down a Wendigo. The thing that had killed your parents so long ago when you had been out camping.

"Y/N, what do you think? Maybe we could buy a tent and go camping one day." Dean suggested as you trudged through the thick foliage, with Sam following behind.

"No thank you." You grumbled, never wanting to spend another night in the woods. It reminded you of the horrible night you had been left behind by the Wendigo, left alone in the shredded tent until hunters came and rescued you. Those hunters had been Sam and Dean, and he should have known you wouldn't go for his suggestion.

"Y/N, I'm just kidding. I would never do that to you." He promised, his hand low on your back as you came to the ransacked camp sight. Blood was splattered everywhere, and you shuddered.

"Damn it Y/N, I messed up. Shouldn't have brought you on this hunt." Dean swore, wrapping his arms around you.

"No, it's okay. I needed to face my fears someday." You insisted, even though you could feel your anxiety trying to get to you.

"I think I found a trail!" Sam yelled from the far end of the camp site. Letting Dean head over to his brother, you walked around the other side, looking for clues. Clothes were scattered everywhere, and a small stuffed bear. Picking it up, you held it to your chest, hoping you would be in time to save the child. Seeing a pink jacket laying on the ground a couple steps away, you went to pick it up when you heard the rustling of the leaves overhead.

You could hear Dean calling for you, but before you could answer him, you were wrapped up in a pair of skinny and smelly arms. "Dean!" You screamed as the Wendigo pulled you away from the campsite, inhumanly fast. Struggling against it's hold, you reared back, only for your head to smack into a tree, knocking you unconscious.

____________________________________________________

Blood trickled down your cheek, coming from the gash above your eyebrow. Your head pounded, and your shoulders were screaming in pain from holding your unconscious body up for so long.

Opening your eyes, it took a couple of seconds before your eyes adjusted to the darkness of the cave you were currently in. You could just make out the dirt walls around you, and the bodies hanging across from you. Including the little girl you had so wished to save. With a tear running down your cheek, you hoped you weren't too late, that there was still the chance she would be alive.