Masquerade Part 2

Your heart beating furiously, you gawked at Jensen, who was pulling off his mask as he waited for your answer. All your dreams were coming true, but you didn't want to be a home wrecker. You didn't want to be the reason that Jensen and Danneel split up. 

"Jensen, I'm flattered, but..." You started to say, while your mind worked furiously on a way to gently brush him back, so you could then go cry your heart out later. 

"No, I don't care about anything else. That can wait. Right now, I need to know. Do you have feelings for me?" He said, placing his hand on your shoulder so you couldn't brush past him. Your teary eyes peered up into his serious green ones, eyes that were searching yours for an answer.

"Of course I do. I've known you for a long time. You're my brother's best friend." You skirted the issue again, but Jensen moved forward, trapping you against the railing of the patio. 

"That's not what I mean, and you know it." He said, his voice quiet. "Please, just let me know."

"Fine, I love you. I've loved you pretty much since the moment I met you. But it's not going to change anything. You're with Danneel, and I don't want to mess that up." You said, as years of pent up frustration had tears threatening to fall. 

Instead of answering you, he leaned forward, his hand gently cupping your cheek as his soft and plumps lips pressed softly to yours, his other hand moving around you, pressing against your back to pull you tight against him. At first you stood there, in absolute shock that this was happening. But then you moved your head, just the tiniest little bit, changing the angle of the kiss, as your hands moved up to his shoulders, holding tight to the strong muscles hidden under the tux. 

Jensen groaned, his teeth gently tugging on your bottom lip before he pulled back. You stood there, your eyes closed for a second, relishing the thought that Jensen had just kissed you. And it had been everything you had ever imagined it would be. 

"Wow." Jensen said. "I always thought it would be good, but never that good."

"Me too." You agreed. "But it doesn't change anything."

You started to walk past him again, but once again he stopped you, this time his hand clasping yours. "Wait, Danneel and I are no longer together. We haven't been for a while."

You stopped dead in your tracks, leaving your hand in his grasp as you felt hope for the first time that night. "What? What happened?"

He led you back over to a bench, sitting down next to you, your hands still clasped together. "It hadn't been good, for a while. I think we loved each other, at first. But we weren't spending much time together, and when we did, we realized we didn't really care for each other that much. We mutually agreed to a divorce, and it's been final for about a month now."

"I'm sorry to hear that." You said. "Does Jared now?"

"Yeah, you're brother was one of the first to know, along with Gen. I just asked them to keep it quiet, while everything was finalized. But Gen knew my feelings to you, and she pushed for me to make a move now that I could." He said.

You couldn't help yourself, you pulled your hand from Jensen's, confusing him. He watched as you pinched yourself. "What was that for?" He asked you.

"I had to. This just seems like a dream, and I might wake up at any moment." You admitted. "I've wanted this for so long, but I always thought it was never meant to be."

He gently pulled your mask off,  wiping away a stray tear. "I'm sorry I wasn't brave enough to follow my feelings before I married Danneel. But you're Jared's little sister, and it didn't seem right."

"It's both our faults then. But where do we go from here?" You asked him.

"Well, I was hoping you would dance with me a couple more times. And then tomorrow, I would take you on an official date. I want to do this right." He said, pulling you to your feet, where you both put your masks back on. 

"I would like that, very much." You agreed, letting him place his hand on your lower back and guide you back out to the crowded floor. But before he could pull you onto the dance floor, Gen came rushing over, grasping your hand, throwing an apology over her shoulder to Jensen.

Grabbing two cups of punch, she pulled you into a corner. You looked at your sister-in-law, who was also your closet friend, noticing that she was a little frazzled and upset. "Gen, what's wrong?" You asked her.

"You and Jensen disappeared for a while. What did you talk about?" She asked quietly as her eyes continued to scan the filled to capacity room. 

"He said that he left Danneel, and that he loves me. Why? He said you already knew about his divorce." You said, starting to get a little concerned at her weird behavior.

"Danneel's here. And she's decided she doesn't want the divorce anymore. She is on a rampage." Gen explained, and all of the blood drained from your face, turning you completely pale. 

"But she doesn't know about Jensen and I yet? Right? Because that just happened." You blabbered, not wanting to cause a scene at Gen's charity event. 

"I think she knows. Everyone could see the way the two of you felt for each other. Everyone that is, except for the two of you." Gen said, just as Jared and Jensen came walking forward.

Jensen stood next to you, his shoulder brushing yours. "Jared told me Danneel is here. Don't worry, I'll find her, talk to her. Jared, Gen, I'm sorry that this has to happen at your charity event. I'll try to get her to leave."

They assured Jensen it didn't matter, but he insisted. Before he left, he pulled you to the side. "If I can, I'll get her outside, or to her room. Then, I'll call you tomorrow, set up a time for our date?"

"That sounds amazing." You agreed, but before you could do anything else, your arm was roughly pulled back, and you were now face to face with an angry, and drunk Danneel. She wasn't even dressed in Masquerade attire. She was wearing a black and white dress, her make up smudged, her breath smelling like gin. 

"There she is. The slut who ruined my marriage." Danneel slurred, her grip tight enough to create bruises on your skin.

"Danneel, you're mistaken. Jensen and I didn't, we weren't..." You tried to say, but she wasn't in the mood to listen.

"And here you are, days after our divorce, cozying up to him." She said, just as Jensen grabbed her hand, prying it from her arm.

"Danneel, that's enough. We both decided our marriage was through. Why are you acting this way?" He hissed, as she yanked her arm from his grasp.

"But I decided that I don't want it to be over." She said, trying to rub her hand up and down Jensen's chest. He grabbed her wrist again.

"It's over. It's been over for a month. You've been with that producer guy. Go back to him. Live your life in California. My life is here, and Vancouver. And with Y/N. She makes me happy, she's always made me happy. I just wish I had seen it sooner. I love her." Jensen told her, making sure she was listening.

Danneel wobbled on her feet. "Ugh, just don't come running back to me when you get bored of little country girl there." She said, before turning on her heels, almost falling flat on her face.

Jensen sighed, before turning his attention to you. "I wonder how she even recognized us in these masks, being that drunk?" 

You giggled. "Pretty sure it's those bow legs of yours. You can't hide them."

"I'm sorry about that. I just don't think she's happy with who she is right now." He said, rubbing his hand up and down your arm.

You leaned forward, pressing a gentle kiss to his lips. You still couldn't believe you could do that now, whenever you wanted. "Jensen, it wasn't your fault. And I don't blame her. I would fight to keep you."

He wrapped his arm around your shoulder, pulling you tight to his side. "Well you don't have to worry, because you have me. And now, can I have this dance?"