Chapter 8: Attack

Cris' POV
I couldn't stop smiling after Nathaniel said he trusted me. He trusted me! Finally some equality here. Nathaniel? Maybe I'll call him Natey. Yeah, Nathaniel's too long, Natey is better.
Suddenly the window behind me shatters, glass flying into my back. I fall to the floor yelling "Natey!"
Natey comes running in because of the explosion he heard or my shout, the world will never know. "Help." I whisper before I pass out.

16 hours later

I wake up to bright lights and silence. I look around for Natey hoping he's ok.
"Hey, you're awake." He says smiling. He looks really tired and I know he must have been staying up all this time.
"Yeah, I'm fine. Go get some sleep now." I urge him.
"No. You just woke up. I want to talk to you." He says while yawning.
I shoot him a look.
"Fine, what happened while I was out?"
He avoids my eyes muttering "rogues."
I take his face into my hands. "Hey, it's ok, we're gonna be fine, alright? We just gotta up security and stuff. Right?"
He shifts in his seat. "It's not that simple."
"What do you mean not that sim-"
"Hush darling you need sleep now." He says pushing me down onto the bed. "You have multiple cuts and punctures from the glass, some pieces are still there so you need to rest and get well soon, ok?" He says worried.
I roll my eyes. "Yeah right. Now tell me about this rogue situation."
"I will after you get some rest alright? I'll go get you some food from the hospital cafeteria, you love cheesecake right? I'll see if they have any." He gets up just as a nurse comes in. Huh, didn't even realize I was in a hospital until now. And awww he remembered I liked cheesecake. Wait, but I never told him that. I glance at the door suspiciously.
"Hello, Cris. I just need to check your vitals real fast and then you can go back to resting." She smiles at me.
I smile back at her. "Okie."
She puts her fingers on my wrist to check my pulse.
"So, what's with this rogue attack, eh?"
She looks at me. "There was no rogue attack, sweetie."
My eyes widened. "Then what the pineapple attacked me??" I yelled.
She holds out the thermometer and opens her mouth demonstrating what she wants me to do. I roll my eyes. I stick out my tongue and sarcastically say "ahhhhh" annoyingly. She rolls her eyes.
"You don't have to do that sweetie." She puts thermometer under my tongue. "Now close." She says. I do so. "There was only one wolf, but he wasn't a rogue." She continues. I open my mouth. "Ah close." She demands.
I close my mouth. The thermometer beeps and I open my mouth about to question her when that guy walked in. I glare at Nathaniel as he walks in.
"Hello Nathaniel." I say viciously.
He raises his eyebrow at me before turning to the nurse.
"Lesson #1, never lie to your mate, Alpha." She says turning around and leaving the room.
His eyes as wide as saucers he turns to me smiling sheepishly.
I decide to play with him a bit more and pretend something else is wrong.
I grab the cheesecake not even bothering to thank him and stab my fork into it putting a piece in my mouth and swallowing it. I look up "so you were cheating on me, huh?"
He looks confused and then worried saying "No, no, no, no, no! I didn't cheat on you sweetie, I swear! How could I when I told you I'm a virgin." He scratched his head awkwardly.
"You could've been lying." I say eating more cheesecake.
He shakes his head. "As if I would lie about something as embarrassing as that."
"You could've kissed her or something like that." I say dragging out the charade.
He takes my hands in his saying "sweetheart, I didn't cheat on you."
Awwww he's so sweet, too bad I'm about to ruin it. I rip my hands out of his and throw my fork at him yelling
"You lying cheating rhino!"
He cocks his head to the side confused saying "rhino?"
"Oh so the lying and cheating parts are true then?"
"No! Cris, that's not what I-"
"Save it. Go buy me flowers or something." I walk out of the room before coming back to say "well actually chocolate. Chocolate is better."
"But I didn't cheat on you!" He yells.
I leave the room feeling satisfied before I realize I didn't even confront him about the "rogue attack." I go back in when he says "please believe me."
"I know." I say. "You lied to me about the rogue attack. It didn't happen. There was only one wolf and he wasn't even a rogue. What's the truth, Nathaniel?"
"So do you not like my name or something? You keep saying it weird-"
"Nathaniel!" I snapped. "The truth."
He nods. "Yes. It was one rogue. Uh, wolf. Nothing to be concerned about."
"Then what was all this 'it's not that simple' stuff?" I question.
He scratches his neck. "Well, that one wolf is an alpha, and we have him locked up in our dungeon, so if his pack finds out where he is, they'll come after him as a pack, and possibly with other packs they have alliances with, and before you know it, it's an all out war."
I slap the side of his head. "Then why'd you put him in the dungeon you dumb dumb"
"Because he hurt you! And no one should ever hurt you!" He growls possessively hugging me to his chest tightly.
"Ow ow, you're hurting me" I say when the stitches in my back rip.
He lets go immediately looking slightly panicked. "Sorry."
Natey all but stabs the call button for the nurse to come. I sigh. "Natey, calm down, I'm fine."
He looks at me. "Natey?"
"Nathaniel's too long." I shrug.
"So you only call me Nathaniel when you don't like me." He mutters.
My face brightens. "Exactly." I trace circles on his bicep. "So...why'd you lie about the rogue attack?"
He turns to me. "I didn't want to worry you pumpkin. If it was a rogue attack, it would've been random and we could've handled it. But this one wolf, could cause a war."
I huff. "Well you could've let the wolf go. But since you didn't, well you still should've told me!! Instead of lying about it, you should've told me." I whispered at the end. "You don't trust me." I fake cry.
"No, pumpkin, I do. I really do, I just didn't want to worry you. I trust you, I do." He coos gently.
My face becomes serious. "You better."
Natey looks shocked and I hear the nurse cackling in the hall.