Chapter 2: Thinking About a Mate

Oh goodness, I've been staring at Chris too long. I clear my throat and open the door wider. "Ahem, you may come in" I say. Kole looks at Chris. Chris rolls his eyes "yes, you can go in" he huffs as he goes in with Kole and Richie trailing after him. Hm, I didn't realize alphas had to give their betas permission to enter places or maybe Kole was just a really respectful and obedient man, who am I kidding? We're all 18, men don't exist at this age. I slam the door shut making sure to lock it but struggling to reach the top lock which is a foot above me seeing as I'm just 5'0 I sigh oh well it wasn't locked before, the other locks will have to do. Chris chuckles as he sees me come down from my tip toes in defeat "here let me help you" he reaches it easily at 6'0 being exactly a foot taller than me. I scrunch up my face at him while he smiles down at me. "I didn't ask for your help" I snap and turn on my heel. "Whoa, someone's feisty today" he says chuckling again. "Because you're making me feel short and and-" "I know, you're really insecure about it, I'm sorry sweetie" he says wrapping his arms around my waist and nestling his head into my neck. I push him off "Chris, we're not a couple" "I know, but honey, what if we are? Maybe we just missed something-" "No Chris, on my 18th birthday, I looked into your eyes and saw nothing, I touch your hands, there's no spark, I smell you, you smell like sweat not sweet honey and pine cones. He looks sad but nods, "yes, I know, I just want you so bad you know?" "You mean a mate right?" He shakes his head "No, I mean you." Looking me straight in the eyes I can tell he means but I sigh "we're not mates, yes it's sad but it's true. Please accept it Chris, before your family or this pack hates me even more." He presses his lips into a firm line "alright, but there's a ball tomorrow, for wolves to find their mates, and I'd like for you to come as my mate" I sigh again "Chris" I start "I know" he whines "but just as friends I promise plus I know you've never been to one because you're...lower class" I stare at him "it's okay, you can say it, I'm poor and basically the lowest of the low in this pack, if I find my mate, he's not even gonna want me" Chris opens his mouth to say something but not before my mother yells out "Cris and Chris! Time to eat, stop your yapping and enjoy this yummy food!" I turn towards the kitchen yup, smells delicious. I tug on Chris' arm as I drag him to the kitchen. My mother bows as she sees him, "Alpha" she says lowly. He smiles "no need to be so formal, Mrs. Smith, you're like my second mother and I'm practically your own son." He kisses her forehead and thanks her for the food.

After the boys have finished their food, my mother looks shocked. "I never knew men could eat that fast" I scoff "Mother, they're hardly men, they're boys, they're hungry all the time, in more ways than one." My mother glares at me. Yikes I realized I just insulted the three highest ranking members of the pack out loud and not in my head. Chris starts laughing nodding in agreement while Kole and Richie just ask for seconds. My mother nods quickly hurrying to make more food. "Sorry" I mumble bowing my head. "It's okay, Cris, it's nice to hear. Usually everyone acts overly nice to me or is afraid of me except you, it's refreshing." Chris smiles. Wow, I think to myself, he'll make a great alpha.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys so I should be able to put up another chapter by the end of the week, but for now I have to study for finals which are at the end of this week so get ready for the wolves ball coming soon!!