coffee pt I

this is the first part of a group of vignettes. they're all based off of the song Coffee by Miguel, which I definitely recommend listening to before or while reading these! part II is already up on my tumblr at halsey17imagines.

/ I wish I could paint our love // These moments in vibrant hues /

"'Kay, so promise you won't tell me if you think this is God awful or some shit like that?"

You look up at Ashley curiously while rubbing moisturizer into your face. Both of you had just finished showering after capping off the celebration your one year anniversary at Sugarfish, a mutual favorite due to your shared love of sushi.

"What are you talking about? I thought we already did gifts this morning?" You ask. There's no way she could have something else hidden up her sleeve after presenting you with a beautiful pair of earrings and the Gucci sneakers you had been lusting after for months. The gifts obviously made your scrapbook and necklace look like nothing. But, being the incredible woman she is, Ashley had insisted they were perfect.

"We did, but this is my homemade gift. Just, like, close your eyes for a few seconds?" You nod and shut your eyes, reaching for the singer's hand to guide you into the bedroom. She gently situates you on the bed, whispering, "I'll be right back."

Bare feet pattering against the hardwood floor retreat somewhere to the back of the house then make their way back to you after a minute.

"Okay, open," she says and the nervousness in her voice is obvious.

Upon opening your eyes, the first thing you see is a three foot by three foot canvas nearly hiding your anxious girlfriend's body. On it, she's painted the two of you looking at each other in a design that's almost cartoonish, a style that you've never seen someone create as well as Ashley. The exaggerated versions she's drawn with large foreheads, bright eyes, and no eyebrows look just as in love as the two of you look in real life. Vibrant blues and purples make up the background. It's a gorgeous piece and one of the best that you've ever seen done solely by your brilliant girlfriend's hand. She must've worked so hard on it.

"Ash," you gasp once you've taken it all in, "this is amazing!" Her tiny head pops up from behind the masterpiece and there's a shy grin on her face. "When did you have time to do this?"

"I may or may not have been lying about meetings and went to Jenna's house instead in order to get this done..."

"You're amazing. This is amazing. I love this." You already know exactly where you want it to go so that everyone can see how talented and perfect Ashley is. "Let's go hang it up above the mantle, yeah?"

"Alright. You're sure you like it?"

Your hand cups her face so you can bring her in for a short but sweet kiss in an attempt to show how much you really do appreciate it. The two of you pull away in a daze of love and contentment. "I love it so much. And I love you even more."

The singer in front of you giggles and you're pretty sure your heart melts on the spot. "I'm so happy. Not just because you like this, I, just, I've never been so content and happy in my life. Everything has fallen into place."

"I couldn't agree more, baby."

A/N ::: The artwork for the picture is inspired by the concept for this piece.