Surprise

After a long day of sitting in classes and listening to professors and students alike drone on and an even worse evening at work, all you really want to do is go home and lay in bed with your girlfriend wrapped around you. But that's kind of hard to do when she's somewhere in Europe performing at God-Knows-What festival for however many people. You sigh deeply. Another night of being on your own.

As soon as you get home you drop your backpack on the floor, not really caring about anything in it. Tonight is not a night for homework or learning. Tonight is more of a sit-and-wallow-in-self-pity kind of night. So you trek to the kitchen, pour yourself a very generous glass of wine, and trek back to your bedroom and plop on top of the white duvet. You don't even have the energy to take off your shoes at the moment.

The bed feels so cold without Ashley and it doesn't really help that she's been gone for a month so her side of the bed doesn't really smell like her anymore. It's more a mix of the two of you and right now you really just want her. A pathetic whine rises out of you before you decide to chug your drink, strip out of your clothes and just settle under the covers. The TV gets turned on for background noise and you're lulled into unconsciousness fairly quickly.

A few minutes, well, hours later, you notice after glancing at the clock, an incessant buzzing noise interrupts your slumber. Your hand flops around on the nightstand before landing on top of the source and you slide to answer your phone without checking the caller ID.

"Hello?" your voice is thick with sleep.

"Baby!" Ashley's bright voice chirps from across the ocean. "Did I wake you up?"

While her voice perks you up, you're still half asleep and kind of grumpy. "What do you think?" you ask her and hear a cute laugh in return.

"Sorry. You're going to be even more annoyed with me in a second..."

"Ergh, what do you need?"

"Can you come open the door?"

You're really tempted to hang up on her at this. This girl has reached a new level of crazy. "What the hell, Ashley. It's three am, I had the worst day, and I'm literally naked in our bed. I'm not getting up to open the damn door. Whatever stupid shit you ordered online can wait until tomorrow. Nobody delivers shit at fucking three a.m., Ashley."

"Pleaaaaase?" she drawls out and you can practically see her big eyes and pouty lips.

"No."

"Just do it. For the sake of both of us."

"No."

"If you don't do it we're not having sex for a week after I get back."

"Fuck you. You wouldn't do that."

"Oh, trust me, love. I fucking would."

"Damnit, Ashley Frangipane. You're lucky you're so hot and that I am practically addicted to your body." Lethargically, you get up from the bed and throw on an extra large hoodie before walking lazily to the door. You stifle a yawn with your hand. "I'm unlocking it." You say into the receiver only to be met with no answer.

Thinking that you hung up the phone on accident, you check that before looking back up only to see the very person you were speaking to. "I'm dreaming." You say before closing the door again. Because there's no way in hell that your girlfriend is standing in front of you. Right here, right now. She's supposed to be like a billion miles away.

"Open the door." You hear from the other side and she's still standing there when you do. "Hi," she breathes out before stepping closer, bags in tow.

"I'm too sleepy to process this fully. Come to bed so I know it's real."

Ashley just laughs and begins to strip off her clothing as the two of you make your way back to bed. A content hum bubbles from your chest as your girlfriend settles in behind you as the big spoon.

"G'night, baby." You mumble. "I love you."

"I love you too, baby girl."