Chapter 1

(Hey guys! So I've been talking about this for a while, and it's finally here! Sorry about not posting this yesterday, but I forgot with how crazy everything was. Anyway, I hope you enjoy. Please keep in mind that I will NOT be rewriting any of the others stories in this series, because I don't like this one very much. I think it's good, it's just not me. I want my stories to be in my writing style, and this isn't it. But I will be uploading the entire story, and I hope you'll be kind enough to tell me what you think, as I worked very hard on this. Also, if you are new here and haven't read the original, I would greatly appreciate it if you would go back and read that one first. Thank you so much for reading, guys, and I hope you enjoy.)

"Stop her!" yelled someone from behind me.

I dashed through the forest on a crisp Autumn evening. The wind was strong, blowing my thick black hair into my face, and I kept having to push it away so I could see where I was running to. The darkness was everywhere, making it even harder to see between trees, much less the people chasing me. Some were carrying weapons and wearing all black, hoping to hide from me, but I didn't need to see them; I could sense their presence. The others were wearing lab coats, running around with clipboards, pens, and anything they could use to capture me.

Turning my attention back to what was ahead, I noticed a low-hanging tree branch right in front of me. I quickly ducked under it, and heard some of my pursuers scream as they made contact with the branch and fell to the ground. I laughed, and continued running.

"Kill her, men!" yelled someone, sounding like he was gaining on me. I quickly turned around and kicked him in the stomach before I took off again.

"No! She's rare, just capture her!" yelled another, farther back.

I didn't look back this time. I was running for my life, frantically searching for an exit. I was doomed if I couldn't find a way out.

I suddenly felt a knife slice the back of my leg, but I didn't stop running. The pain was awful; it must have been an anti-demon blade. I would have to survive for now, though. I wasn't going to let those men experiment on me, dead or alive.

I made it out of the forest and into the busy London streets. I kept running, hoping they would lose me in the crowd. It would be hard to hide from them, though, with the blood dripping from my leg.

I heard them asking for me, but they were farther off than before. I slowed to a jog so I could try to catch my breath. I looked behind me to see them searching for me frantically. I laughed a little at the sight of them losing me, their rare specimen.

They call me rare because I'm the daughter of a demon and a fallen angel. It's not every day you see someone like me wandering the streets. That's why most of the time I stay hidden. I left because I was hidden well, but all alone, and I didn't want to stay like that forever. It had been two years. How much longer did he expect me to stay there?

I was pulled from my thoughts when I heard the men calling to the others; they'd spotted me. I picked up the pace, but didn't pour on the demon speed. I was surrounded by humans, after all.

I wasn't running for a full minute before the pain in my leg from the knife wound was too much to handle. My leg went weak, and I fell to the ground, slamming my head on the concrete sidewalk. I tried to lift my head, but the pain kept me from doing so. This is it, I thought, I'm done for.

I closed my eyes and braced myself for the blade I was expecting to plunge into my back and take my life, but it never came. I opened my eyes and saw a man lying on the ground a few feet away, not breathing.

Somehow managing to sit up, I looked to see if anyone else was around. I noticed the rest of the men looking at me with a horrified expression. A moment later, they all ran away, screaming. I looked behind me, but no one was there.

They hadn't run from me. They would've stayed to kill or capture me, no matter what I did. So why did they run?

I stood and limped into an empty alley. I was about to spread my wings when I heard something move.

I turned fast. "Who's there?"

I saw a cat jump out from behind a dumpster. That was supposed to be the bait. I was supposed to think that the noise was just the cat, then they would jump out and grab me when I least expected it. I then realized it was probably just paranoia, but I refused to take any chances. I limped out of the alley.

I managed to make it to the forest without being followed. I found a small creek and sat on the bank, removing my shoes and socks. I dipped one of my black socks into the cool water, then removed it and placed it on the cut in my leg, which was deeper than I'd thought.

It hurt like crazy, but I bit my lower lip to keep from making any unnecessary noise. I finished washing the cut, then took my other sock and tied it around my leg like a bandage. I was pretty sure I was going to make it.

Once I was absolutely positive I was the only one around, I unfurled my wings. They needed a good stretch after not using them all day.

My right wing was pretty much the most angelic thing about me. It was whiter than snow and soft as fluffy clouds. My left wing was solid black like a raven, helping the scientists know that I was no ordinary angel.

I folded my wings back into place and started maneuvering through the dark and deeper into the woods. I found a tall tree and climbed to the top. I was going to stay there for the rest of the night, watching for the hunters. They knew I was living in this general area, and I wasn't leaving just yet. This was the only forest-like area near London, and I was looking for someone near that city to help me.

I was searching for my father, Sebastian Michaelis.