Chapter Eight

Ashton woke up me with a slight shake.

"Hey your home." he whispered. I sat up and rubbed my eyes. I smiled at him, and went to get out, but I was pulled back gently.

"I'll pick you up at 9, your appointments at noon and it takes awhile to get there." I nodded. I got out and opened my door. I waved at Ashton and shut the door. I walked up the stairs and changed. I laid down on my bed and passed out.

I woke up at 8, and changed. I made me a quick breakfast and did the dishes, I dried my hands right about the time the door bell rang. I grabbed my bag and jacket.

"You ready?" I nodded, and closed the door behind me. I got into the mustang and he drove off.

We listened to music and he started to sing. I smiled and continued to act like I was playing the drums. We pulled over to a gas station, so he could refuel. I pulled out my notebook.

"You should sing more. Your really good." He smiled.

"I'll think about it. Come on." we got out and walked in. We both grabbed a coke and looked at the name. I smiled when my said Lucy.

"What does yours say?" he asked. I turned it around.

"What are the odds." he turned his around and his said Ashton. I shook my head and head to the food aisle. I grabbed a can of Pringles sour cream and onion, and Ashton grabbed sour patch straws. I made a face and he laughed.

"They are not that sour." I shook my head and headed towards the cashier. He paid for the gas and the food.

We were having a blast listening to music and everything when we pulled up to the clinic. I took a deep breath and got out the car.

"Ya, we are here for an appointment for Lucy Albertson." Ashton said to the receptionist.

"Alright. The doctor will be here shortly. Fill this out and then your good to go." said the clerk. I grabbed the clip board and filled out the information, before handing it back.

"Thank you go have a set." I smiled and Ashton and I sat down.

"You ready?"

"I'm not sure. It's been twelve years since I last talked, I'm scared that I 'll never talk again."

He kissed my forehead, "you'll be fine. I'm right here for you." I nodded and took another deep breath. Trying to focus but felt tingles from where he kissed my forehead.

"What is the one thing you always wanted?" What did I always wanted? I thought about it and it came to me. 

"I've always wanted a tattoo but I can't afford it."

"Why a tattoo?"

"They always looked very pretty to me, and I was fascinated by all the colors."

"Huh. Never thought about it that way before. I got one of my tattoos last year, it's for my little brother."

"I never knew you have a little brother."

"Had. I had a baby brother."

"What happened?"

"He had Leukemia and he was always wanting to have a good adventure before he died."

"I'm sorry."

"It's okay."

"Lucy Albertson?" we got up and followed her to a room. She checked my vitals before asking, "So what are you here for?" I went to write it out but Ashton beat me to it.

"Um, see if she can ever talk again."

"Okay. How long has it been since you last talked?"

"She was five when she stopped talking."

"Okay. I'm going to need you to open your mouth so I can take a look." I opened my mouth and she looked.

"Okay. I'll be right back with the doctor." I nodded and she walked out. I sighed, thinking to myself. The door opened.

"Hello, my name is Dr. Smith. Are you Lucy Albertson?" I nodded.

"Okay. The nurse said you haven't talked for the past twelve years. Is that correct?" I nodded.

"Okay then. Well for starters, you will have to work on your vocal cords, before you can actually start talking. And when you do start talking you will get shortness of breath because you are using a lot of oxygen to talk. So you will need an oxygen tank." I nodded.

"Okay. For now, well start you off with trying to hum. Once you can hum without needing the oxygen, you'll start trying to talk. And if not, we can look at surgery." I nodded but swallowed heavily from hearing that.

"Okay. I'll send someone to go get you the oxygen tank and tubes. So you can head on out."

"Thank you doctor." said Ashton.

Dr. Smith walked out the room.

"Okay. I'll take the oxygen tank to my house, that way when you come over we can get you started on talking." I nodded. I can't believe I can start talking again. The door opened.

"Here you go Ms. Albertson. You are good to go home." I smiled and took the oxygen tank, from the nurse. I walked out the room and Ashton took it from me. We got in the car and headed home. We jammed out again before pulling into Applebee's. We got out, and walked in.

"Hi welcome to Applebee's. Table for two?" asked the Hostess.

"Yes, please."

"Okay, follow me." We followed her and she took us to a both.

"Your server will be right out." I looked through the menu and decided on the three cheese chicken penne and a coke.

"Hi, my name is Mindy and I'll be your server. What can I get you two started with?"

"You want a coke?" I nodded.

"Two cokes, please."

"Okay. Any appetizers?" I shook my head.

"Okay. I'll be right out with your drinks."

"Someone is pretty peppy." Ashton said as he watched Mindy leave. I nodded in agreement.

"So what do you want?" I pointed to the chicken penne, "okay."

"Here are your drinks. Are you ready to order or do you need a few minutes?" Mindy asked.

"We're ready. She'll take the three-cheese chicken penne, and I'll take Steakhouse Bruschetta Sirloin."

"Okay." she said and took our menus.

"What do you want your tattoo to look like?" I pulled out my notebook and flipped to the page that I had my mom's name in a heart with the year she was born and the year that she died. And around the heart was music notes.

"That looks amazing." he said. I blushed.

"Why did you want to know?"

"Maybe I was thinking about taking you to go get the tattoo."

"You don't have to."

"I know I don't have to, but I want to." I sighed knowing that there was no way I would win this argument with him. Since the week I have known him, when he says he wants to do something, he does it, whether I ask him not to or not.

"Excuse me ma'am, but we need you to leave." said a waiter in a cold voice.