-32-

We were sitting on two cots, facing each other. On one side sat dad, Cam and Peter. On the other Haley, Nathan and I. Mum had positioned her wheelchair in between the two beds.

The way I told the story was almost identical to the way I'd told Rhonda. I tried to be truthful, but omitted the injuries, the window-breaking, and the alcohol.

When I got to the part about the youth music centre, mum interrupted me.

"Why didn't you just stay there? With Rhonda? That would have been a whole lot safer than to come here with the way the roads are looking."

I bit my lip when I thought of the consequences the quest for my family had had.

"Same reason we left the diner in the first place," I answered, "To find you, dad and Cam."

Mum pressed her lips together and nodded. I knew she would have done the same.

"Then, Nathan suggested we'd check out the school, and so we did."

I was leaving out quite a big chunk there. It was ridiculous to think they wouldn't ask questions but frankly, I just didn't feel like reliving that part.

It was quiet for a few seconds. Then, Cam turned to Peter.

"I told you my energy would come in handy."

Peter nodded.

"But I almost lost it! In the street where we found Paisley. We were walking to our house and then I couldn't find it anymore."

Cam seemed shocked by this revelation.

"What did you do?" He asked.

"Well, Nathan wet back and found it."

Cam furrowed his brow.

"Who's Nathan?"

Next to me, Nathan chuckled and waved at Cam, who made an 'oh'-shape with his mouth.

Next to him, dad was looking at my questioningly.

"Did Pailey stay at the Youth Music Centre?"

I swallowed. "Uhm, no. She..." I couldn't formulate the words to explain what had happened.

"She..."

I could feel everyone staring at me in anticipation. I didn't know why it was so difficult for me to say. She is dead. Three simple words. That was all it would take. Yet my vocal chords were rendered useless at the sheer thought of Paisley's lifeless body, lying on the concrete.

Finally, I took a shaky breath.

"There was this... wire, an electrical wire that came down because of the shock and... It was laying in a puddle..."

My mum audibly gasped, but now that I had started talking, I couldn't stop.

"Paisley didn't see it. I wanted to warn her but it was too late."

"Oh Charlie..." Mum said. She rubbed my arm and I looked up. She had known Paisley when I'd been in primary school, when we would have play dates and sleepoverrs almost every week. Though she hadn't seen her in over six years, it was logical shocked by the news. When I looked up at dad, he was talking to Cam. They were whispering, but from what I gathered, Cam hadn't understood the situation, forcing dad to be more blunt and break the news. I looked away from them, back to mum. Assured her I was fine.

When she persisted, I pleaded for a change of subject. She understood.

"So, Haley," she adressed the little girl hiding behind Nathan.