-10-

Nathan's hands balled into fists as he watched Haley disappear into the pantry. Peter followed behind her.
The kitchen was eerily quiet. I could hear voices coming from within the diner.
It sounded like the poker game had restarted. Someone called out for Keith to join. I didn't hear the response, but from the 'boo'-calls that followed, I deducted he'd declined.
"So..." Layla said, bringing my focus back to the kitchen, "I'm gonna go see if they're alright in there."
She jogged to the pantry, leaving me and Nathan alone.
I fidgeted with my skirt for a while before breaking the silence.
"Haley's very... strong headed."
Nathan snorted.
"Yeah, you could say that." He waited a beat.
"She got that from her dad."
"Your brother?"
"Yeah."
Neither of us spoke. I didn't hear the sounds from the diner anymore, but that was mostly because the chaos in my mind blocked it out.
"He passed away." Nathan said suddenly. I didn't know how to respond.
"Two years ago. That's why Grace is so important. She's all Haley's got."
I scrambled for words. Anything. I searched through the depths of my mind but came up blank. So I crossed the distance between us and sat down on the crate next to him.
"Maybe you should let her go." I said.
His head snapped my way.
"Have you gone completely mad?"
I fumbled with my skirt for a moment, regretting my words, but I stuck to them.
"I know it's scary. But it might offer a distraction. If she stays here... She'll just keep worrying."
Nathan's eyes scanned my face. When he realized I was being serious, he looked towards the pantry.
"I can't risk losing her, too. I have to stay with her."
"Then join us. She'd get the distraction she needs and you'd be able to keep her safe."
The silence returned as he thought about the suggestion.
"But who would stay here? With the kids, with Grace? We can't just leave them unsupervised."
"Keith agreed to do that."
"Keith?" From his tone of voice, I could tell he wasn't very fond of Layla's brother.
"There are twenty kids in there. The guy can barely take care of a cactus."
"I'm sure he'll find a way."
"No," Nathan shook his head. "No, you don't know him."
I didn't say anything. He was right, I didn't know Keith. But I was more surprised to hear that apparently Nathan did.
"So, what are you suggesting?" I asked.
"I-"
He was interrupted by Haley and Peter bursting out of the pantry, sprinting past us. Before we had time to react, Layla appeared, running after the two. I grabbed her sleeve to stop her.
"What's going on?"
"Just another temper tantrum," she explained, "They said if we won't take them with us, they're going by themselves."
I immediately released her sleeve and started running with her.
Despite our head start, Nathan reached the door before us, crashing though it at high speed. A few of the diners gave us strange looks as we zipped by, but most just minded their own business.
Luckily, the fugitives hadn't actually left the building yet. We caught up on them just as they were trying to get the door to open. The lock was automatic, and since the power was out, it wouldn't budge.
"Haley," Nathan said, trying, and failing, to keep his voice calm.
Haley kept fidgeting with the doorknob.
"Haley," He took a deep breath.
"You can go."
That made the seven-year-old stop and turn.
"Really?"
"Really. But I'm coming too."
I felt Layla's eyes on my face, but I kept mine glued on Nathan.
I didn't know why the thought of him joining us made me feel the way it did. Maybe it was because I'd known him the longest, even if the difference was just an hour or two.
"Then I'm staying here," Layla said. Now, I did meet her gaze.
"Why?"
"Keith can't handle this," she gestured to both sides of the diner. The left, where the children were sleeping and the right, where mrs. Stratford lay, "on his own. Plus, I didn't want you to go alone. Now you won't."
I understood. But I did also wonder what Keith had done to cause all of this mistrust.
"Okay. Let's go." Haley turned back towards the door and recommenced picking at the lock. While I explained to her why that wouldn't work, Layla handed her purse to Nathan.
It was kind of funny to see him try to fit the narrow strap over his broad shoulders, the lilac purse strongly contrasting his black shirt and ragged jeans.
"We can use the fire escape," he suggested.
That red door at the end of the corridor leading to the break room and kitchen didn't require electricity.
"Good thinking."
He smiled smugly before attending the kids to our escape route. I lingered for a bit.
I realized that in the short period I'd known Layla, she'd become a real friend. Now that I was leaving her behind, I couldn't help but feel a bit melancholic.
I turned so I was facing her and offered a half smile.
"Thanks, by the way," I said, "for everything."