-4-

"Move!" I shouted, grasping his arm and pulling him towards me as forcefully as I could.
Not even a second later, the storage unit came crashing down. I stared at it, wide eyed, unable to comprehend that it had nearly crushed my coworker.
"Thank you," he wheezed.
"No problem."
My brain had been too occupied with the toppling unit to register that the earth was still trembling. Now that that danger had been averted, I felt the tremor like never before.
"I thought the earthquake was over!" I shouted over the noise of the falling items.
"This must be an aftershock!" The boy responded.
A can of peas rolled from the shelf on the storage unit that was still standing and hit my foot. I grunted.
"We need to get out of here." The boy said. I couldn't agree more.
We fled the room, avoiding upcoming food can attacks.
Running through the kitchen, I thought maybe the shock had been exaggerated in the storage room, because of the large quantity of loose objects just waiting to fall down.
But as we ran into the diner, my heart sank. Everyone was back under their tables, seeking shelter from the items I had placed back just minutes earlier, which were now falling once again. The lamps were swinging even more. It was like the first shock had never stopped, had just taken a break.
DS and I ran to the nearest table and crouched to hide under it with the rest of the customers.
Our hiding place was facing the windows that had been smashed. I could see the broken shards sticking out of the pane. But that was not what had caught my attention.
Outside, the sky was ashen. Dust clouded the air and a musky scent was creeping into the diner. Something must have collapsed, I realized.
A loud thump snapped me out of my thoughts. It came from Peter's table. I started towards it but a hand pulled me back. Thrown off, I searched for its owner.
DS was looking at me, shaking his head.
I knew he was right. As much as I wanted to check on the kids, I couldn't. I'd most likely get hit by debris before I was even halfway.
So I waited. I blocked out all exterior sounds and repeated over and over again, everything is okay, like a mantra. Like I could trick myself into actually believing it. As soon as the shaking lessened, I bolted towards the table. My eyes rapidly scanned the area, trying to locate Peter. I couldn't find him.
I remembered the crashing sound. Imagined Peter being crushed by something big enough to make such a sound. Tears threatened as I thought about losing my brother. I blinked them away. Everything is okay, I repeated.
Deep breath. First, I had to pinpoint the source of that sound. I looked around me and tried to picture the diner as it normally was. Pictures, shelves lined with decorations, jukebox... I flinched. The jukebox. That was what had toppled over. Anxiety took hold of me as I walked towards it. A muffled sob sounded from the left side. My breath caught. There, partially hidden beneath the jukebox, was Mrs. Stratford.

"Somebody help!" I shouted. I crouched and wiggled my fingers under the machine. I tried to lift it but it wouldn't budge. It might as well have been carved from marble.
"I can help," a small voice offered.
I looked over my shoulder to see my little brother standing there. Despite everything, I smiled. At least he was safe.
"That's sweet, Peter, but..."
His determined expression made my voice falter.
"You know I can. I'm strong."
"Fine," I patted the spot next to me, "Come, sit."
Just as he did, more help arrived. DS and another boy from the table we had been hiding under were running towards us.
I saw their expressions change as they took in the situation. Without saying a word, they took place on either side of the jukebox.
"One, two..."
As one, we flexed our muscles, lifting the machine and putting it back were it belonged. I didn't let go for a while to make sure the jukebox stood steady. After a few seconds, I relaxed.
"Uh-oh."
I looked over to DS. His grey eyes locked with mine, then dropped to mrs. Stratford.
Suddenly, the diner seemed eerily quiet. I followed his gaze.
Mrs. Stratford wasn't sobbing anymore. In fact she wasn't making any sounds. Her eyes were closed and her mouth half open.
She was unconscious.