Chapter Twelve

Alec was having a boring time. On top of that, he and Aline had to kiss like every five seconds to make sure people understood they were together. Alec hated kissing Aline. It wasn't anything like kissing Magnus. Magnus' kisses were loving, and soft, and indescribable, but it felt like Alec was on cloud nine. With Aline, it was wet, and cold, and Alec felt uncomfortable. The party was roaring though. They didn't care wether or not Alec was enjoying himself, so he didn't mind planning an escape. When the Queen stopped watching him like a hawk, and Aline got swept away by a group of duchesses, Alec quietly and quickly broke out into the hallway. Magnus was standing there, leaning against the wall, talking with Izzy.

    "Iz, can you go keep Aline busy? She's bored." Izzy got the hint and graciously, left. When Izzy was gone, Alec grabbed Magnus by his lapels, and kissed his as hard as he could. Magnus, who didn't expect it, was shocked and still, but then gave into it, and wrapped his arms around Alec's waist, and Alec's arms wound around Magnus' neck. They broke apart, foreheads together, they stood in silence, only the sounds of their breathes filled the air.

    "I love you, you know that, right?" Alec asked Magnus.

    "Of course I know that darling. I love you too." They stood together for another moment, before Alec decided it was time to head back. He didn't want to draw suspicion.

***

Magnus watched as Alec walked back into the party, and Magnus' smile fell when he noticed who seemed to be walking towards him.

    "Your majesty." Magnus bowed at Alec's mother. She wore a nasty looking smile on her face.

    "May I have a word with you Mr. Bane?" she asked. Magnus could refused, so he followed her to her office. When they arrived, she closed the door.

    "How long have you been seeing my son?"

    "I don't know—"

    "Oh please, I saw you too in the hall. Answer the question." She said coldly.

    "A month." Magnus answered.

    "A month." she said nodding. "Do you know how long i've been planning his marriage to Aline?" Magnus shook his head. "Almost four years. Four years ago, you weren't a threat to my plan, but now you are. You see, I needed some child of mine to marry a Penhallow. Izzy fought me and fought me and fought me. So i gave up. Alec fought me too, but he's always been to soft, I knew I could count on him. His little bother was my last hope, but he died too young. So Alec it was. Then you walked in here, and showed him...feelings. One's he's never experienced before, and now he doesn't want to marry Aline, he want's to marry you, or so I over heard him tell his sister."

    "He wants to marry me?" Magnus asked, hiding his smile.

    "Yes, unfortunately, but you see you can change his mind! Tell him, you don't want to marry him. That your leaving, and you've decided that this pain is not worth it. In short, break his heart and leave."

    "Why would I do that."

    "Because I will disown him if he doesn't marry Aline. One small tip to the press, and his entire reputation, everywhere is gone." Magnus couldn't argue with her. She would do it, and he couldn't ruin Alec's life. When they were on secret dates, Alec would tell him about his planes to improve Idris. How he planned to fund schools, and reduce poverty. He loved children, and didn't think they should be placed in unstable adoption homes. Magnus couldn't ruin Alec's one chance of being able to make this country great.

    "I'll do it." Magnus said quietly.

    "Excellent." The Queen remarked, sending Magnus out. Magnus ran down the hall to the party, and stood in the doorway. Alec noticed him and smiled, his smile fell when Magnus let a tear fall, and ran off. Magnus dashed to his room. He'd rather just leave, then have to break Alec's heart to his face. Magnus didn't want to see the betrayal in his eyes.