Chapter Six

"Mother why must you keep insisting that I marry Aline?" Alec asked his mother who was sitting behind her desk stacking papers. Alec paced the room.

    "Because you are going to."

    "I don't love her, mother. I never will."

    "Why not? She is a sensible girl. Pretty, wealthy, smart! What more could you want." Alec huffed. He couldn't just scream he wanted her to be a man, so he just stood there tight lipped, and clenching his jaw.

    "She's perfect, mother." Alec said through his teeth.

    "See! Anyways, you are going to propose in two weeks time at the Christmas party." his mother said as if it was something casual you say to your son.

    "Do you even care about how I feel about this?" he asked.

    "You are my only hope left! Your sister insists on being with that gardener boy. I swear I don't know where I went wrong! You are it if I want to create a strong alliance with Cortana. The bond will also make out country wealthy again." His mother said trying to defend her actions.

    "Mother—"

    "Nope. It's decided. You can leave now." Alec couldn't believe his mother! Alec raced down to the basement and into the training room. Alec looked around but his best friend was no where in sight.

    "Ugh. Seriously? Jace!" he screamed into the room. But no one answered. Alec walked down the hall to find the next best thing. He swung open the sowing room door.

    "Clary!" he shouted. The little red head, looked up. "Thank god. At least you're were you're supposed to be. Where's Jace?"

    "I don't know, Alec. Did you check the training room?"

    "I just came from there. Ugh. I needed to talk to him, or at least punch something." Clary got up and hugged him.

    "I can spar with you, if you want?"

    "No its fine, go back to work. I'll find Jace soon enough." Alec turned around and saw Magnus sitting at the other desk, staring at him. Alec's face burned red. Magnus looked away.

    "Oh, this is—" Clary went to go introduce Magnus but Alec cut her off.

    "Hello, Magnus." Alec said.

    "Hello, your majesty." Magnus said not meeting his eyes. Alec pressed his lips together.

    "I should be going. Bye Clary, bye Mr. Bane." Alec said turning around and leaving to find his idiotic best friend.

***

    "What was that about?" Clary asked, returning to her dress. Magnus looked up away from his sketch book.

    "I don't know what you mean?" Magnus said.

    "Yeah, right. The Prince. He knew your name, and he seemed to like you." said Clary.

    "Really?"

    "Yeah, didn't you seen how angry he was when he walked in here? Then he saw you and his eyes softened; his shoulders relaxed." Magnus huffed at her comment.

    "Are you sure he just didn't see me and when he did, he wanted to hide his emotion from me?"

    "What do you have against the prince?"

    "Long story. What about you two? Are you a...thing?" Magnus asked jealously.

    "Alec and I?" she broke out into a laugh. "God no! I'm dating his best friend, and his sister is my best friend."

    "You know the royal family personally?" he inquired.

    "Yeah, we grew up together. Although Alec's older." she told him.

    "Who's this Aline?"

    "A princess from Cortana. You shouldn't feel any competition. Alec doesn't like her."

    "Now I seriously don't know what you mean." Magnus said.

    "Even I could see the sexual tension between you two. Izzy told me that her brother found you. So what? You too hook up? Huh?"

    "Firstly, no. Secondly, why do you think I'm gay. Thirdly, he's gay?" Clary covered her mouth.

    "Only his sister and I know. I didn't say anything to you. " She said sternly pointing her finger at him. He smiled to himself but she caught his smile.

    "Aha! I knew you too hooked up!"

    "We did not! Honest to god truth!" Magnus said. "We almost kissed thats it."

    "Okay see, that's not that bad. Why are you avoiding him?"

    "He doesn't want me, trust me."

    "What makes you think that?"

    "It got all awkward, and he never said really anything after it to me. Just hellos and goodbyes, mostly."

    "Let me tell you something. The prince—Alec. Alec is so sweet, and caring, and is the most selfless person ever. He's even willing to get married to a girl he will never like for his mothers sake. But he's never been loved, besides by his friends and sister. His mother isn't the most loving person. He doubts himself. He makes himself believe that you don't want anyone like him! Why would you! He thinks he's not worth it, which he totally is by the way."

    "Why would he do that?"

    "I don't know. I think because he was brought up in a very old fashion way, that he thinks the way he loves is bad, even though he knows it's okay. Does that make sense?"

    "I get it. My dad tried to drown me when he found out."

    "What?!"

    "and my mom killed herself."

    "Magnus." She said with one hand over her heart and the other over her mouth.

    "I'm over it, but I get it."