Chapter Thirteen

"Magnus! Wait! Where are you going?" Alec called after him. Magnus walked into his room, and started throwing clothes into his suitcases.

    "I'm leaving." Magnus said.

    "What?"

    "I'm leaving. I can't be here anymore. I'm going home, to my store, to Cat."

    "Why?"

    "You need to marry Aline. I think she's good for you." Magnus forced himself to say. He looked beyond Alec and noticed the Queens shadow listening to them. Alec stopped Magnus from walking, and forced him to sit on his bed.

    "I love you." Alec said, kneeling in front of him.

    "And I love you."

    "Isn't that enough?"Alec asked. Magnus shut his eyes.

    "Maybe for Magnus Bane and Alec Lightwood the normal people, but not for Magnus Bane the New York designer, and Alec Lightwood the Prince of Idris. You have your people, your sister, your thrown. This is your home, not mine.

    "It can be."

    "No it can't. As long as I stay here, you'll miss out on your chance to become King and marry Aline, and make ties with your countries strong."

    "You sound like my mother!" Magnus looked away. "Oh my god! Did you talk to my mother?"

    "This isn't about your mother, this is about us."

    "Than, marry me!" Alec said, pulling out the ring from his pocket. "I'll give up my title, Izzy will gladly take over. We can move to New York, and you can start the clothing line you came here to start! We'll be normal!"

    "Normal is the setting on the dishwasher, people like you and me, we don't get normal. I can't ask you to renounce your title. I can't, darling. You need to stay here. I love you more than anything, more than life itself. Don't you understand? I'm leaving because I love you."

    "You're really sticking with this?" Magnus, through his tears, nodded slowly. "Then I can't stop you. I love you more than my crown, more than all the money I'm worth, so i'll let you leave. Have a nice flight, Mr. Bane." Alec said, turning and leaving. Magnus could hear the heart break in his voice, it was like little knives piercing him all over his heart.

    "I love you." Magnus whispered as he cried into his blanket.

***

Alec stood, outside the castle the next morning, right across from Magnus. Magnus had hugged Izzy, and Clary, and Jace. even Simon who he met very briefly. Now the love of his life was standing in front of him.

    "You don't have to do this." Alec told him one last time. Magnus shook his head.

    "I have to." He hugged Alec, and whispered in his ear, "You'll always have a place in my heart. I'll never stop loving you." Alec, let a tear slide down his face. Magnus wiped it away, with his gloved hand.

    "Goodbye, Alexander."

    "Goodbye, Magnus." Magnus got into a black car, and Alec watched helplessly as it drove away. A little part of him hoped the car would turn around, and Magnus would kiss him again, and they could be together finally. A bigger part of him knew this was goodbye. Alec turned around, to face the castle entrance. His mother was standing there, looking quite sad, although it was probably a facade for the staff. Aline stood quietly next to the Queen. Alec walked towards them, but didn't move his gaze from his mother. He knew she made him change his mind. She had to be behind this.

    "Are you pleased with yourself, mother? Are you happy watching me hurt?" He asked her with a voice full of hatred.

    "Alexander, I did this for you and the country. I don't think you understand—"

    "No! I don't thing you understand! He left because of you. You have no respect for me. For anyone other than yourself, and your title. How can you say 'your doing this for the country and it's people' when you don't even care for your own children?"

    "Do not speak to me like that, I am still your mother—"

    "No you aren't. You place the way the people look at you over the way Isabelle and I look at you." Aline placed a hand on his arm, and he shrugged it off, walking away, the smell of tension thick.